FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nowonder

Reaction score
Tank is new.. just went through the first water cycle. I just got the two other platys to keep my single one company. All females. They’re like hiding?? Just wondering if this is normal. The pic shows all three, also in the tank is a betta (not bullying them, I watch them all day) and two dwarf plecos and a albino pleco. Mystery snails and two nerites snails and one shrimp. Thanks

Maybe it’s new territory (got them yesterday) I didn’t notice but they’re rather skinny? and my first platy was always doing something or wanting food. She’s joined in on their behavior too...

Attachments

• 7426B320-7BA0-42FA-946F-4DD7C06DCF5C.jpeg
    7426B320-7BA0-42FA-946F-4DD7C06DCF5C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • 7CB6A377-105E-4F83-8A4C-737D2675530C.jpeg
    7CB6A377-105E-4F83-8A4C-737D2675530C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
It may be that they need time to get use to the new surroundings. I have noticed that when I add new fish they usually find a place to hide for awhile.

On closer look, you have a betta in the tank? Betta are not community fish, you should leave him in there alone and return the platys or re-home them. There is a good chance he will kill the platys. About the only thing Betta will tolerate in their tank is snails.

On closer look, you have a betta in the tank? Betta are not community fish, you should leave him in there alone and return the platys or re-home them. There is a good chance he will kill the platys. About the only thing Betta will tolerate in their tank is snails.
Thanks for replying to my thread. I typically
Keep bettas on their own but depends on their aggressiveness. In my experience, each have their own personality. I’m not sure if you call it “tolerating”, but he seems fine and no one bothers each other. I’ve had an orange betta with goldfish before but like I said, each betta has a personality. Most bettas I’ve owned were by themselves. He is forming a bubble nest and if he’s get Territorial, I’ll take the platys out. Thanks

It may be that they need time to get use to the new surroundings. I have noticed that when I add new fish they usually find a place to hide for awhile.
Thanks for replying to my thread! Most likely what it is, I have so many hiding places too

What size tank is it? Much too small for platies, especially with a betta in the tank as well

What size tank is it? Much too small for platies, especially with a betta in the tank as well
Hello guys, thanks for replying to my thread. This is a filtered 5 gallon tank. I do 2 week water changes and the plecos are dwarfs. I haven’t set up my larger tank to do more things with, especially and mostly plants. These guys will be put in there once it’s ready to go.

I’ve seen people say they can and can’t be with other fish. I have a male in with baby mollies , platies, and a guppy . He’s been more active being with other fish , and has never once attempted to attack my fish. So maybe it’s different with others.

I’ve seen people say they can and can’t be with other fish. I have a male in with baby mollies , platies, and a guppy . He’s been more active being with other fish , and has never once attempted to attack my fish. So maybe it’s different with others.
He hasn’t flared up or attacked them, and to me, seems to enjoy the orange one following him. I did have small tetras in there but they nipped at his fins, he’s looking much better now. I did have to take back a blue male platy because he was nipping at him and only a couple of times did I see him flare up at him. Like I said he’s back and I got a female. Watching on the other two for any nippy behavior, I’m not shy to exchange for other fish or plants, etc.

He hasn’t flared up or attacked them, and to me, seems to enjoy the orange one following him. I did have small tetras in there but they nipped at his fins, he’s looking much better now. I did have to take back a blue male platy because he was nipping at him and only a couple of times did I see him flare up at him. Like I said he’s back and I got a female. Watching on the other two for any nippy behavior, I’m not shy to exchange for other fish or plants, etc.
Yea my betta has never shown Any aggressive behavior. And like I said. He’s swimming with babies lol

I used to own a 45 gallon with goldfish and a orange betta, no problems. I’m keen on hiding places, plants, etc for a balanced and healthy ecosystem (as I view it)

This is a filtered 5 gallon tank.
This tank is too small for anything except the betta I'm afraid, the shrimps and the snails. All the other fish need a bigger tank.

Platies need a tank at least 60 cm/24 inches long.
There are no plecs suitable for 5 gallons. They may have been sold to you as dwarfs but you need to know the species to find out how big they grow. For example, bristlenose plecs (one of the smallest plec species) grows to over 10 cm/4 inches and like platies, needs a tank at least 60 cm/24 inches long.

I haven’t set up my larger tank to do more things with, especially and mostly plants. These guys will be put in there once it’s ready to go.

You do need to set up your larger tank as soon as possible, and move everything but the betta into it.

This tank is too small for anything except the betta I'm afraid, the shrimps and the snails. All the other fish need a bigger tank.

Platies need a tank at least 60 cm/24 inches long.
There are no plecs suitable for 5 gallons. They may have been sold to you as dwarfs but you need to know the species to find out how big they grow. For example, bristlenose plecs (one of the smallest plec species) grows to over 10 cm/4 inches and like platies, needs a tank at least 60 cm/24 inches long.

You do need to set up your larger tank as soon as possible, and move everything but the betta into it.
Sounds good. And perhaps you’re right about the bristlenose plecos but they won’t outgrow the current tank for at least a year... Like I said they’re gonna go in the bigger tank once set up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back