FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mollyforever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello 👋
My black molly has a strange color poop. Is this normal? He has been pooping clear poops with red tips for the past two days i fed him some peas and flakes.

Attachments

• 6A82133D-C32A-4EEC-8EF8-E61F56F518ED.jpeg
    6A82133D-C32A-4EEC-8EF8-E61F56F518ED.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 241
  • 30D1EDBF-82C7-45F7-AB15-49E645D1E030.jpeg
    30D1EDBF-82C7-45F7-AB15-49E645D1E030.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 179
Normal molly poop should be coloured (brown, black, red or green, depending on what the fish eats) and not white or cream.

Stringy white poop is not normal and usually an indication of an internal problem. In livebearers like mollies the problem is usually caused by intestinal worms.

See the following link for info about stringy white poop, intestinal worms and how to treat them.

Thank you! Im seeing some clear stringy poop.. but im too scared to treat them again because they are taking a break from recent medications.. maybe i will try them after a couple weeks

Deworming medications are normally quite safe and have few, if any side effects. However, if the fish have been treated with other harsher chemicals (Malachite green, formaldehyde, etc), then give them a few weeks before trying a dewormer.

In the mean time, if you suspect the fish have intestinal worms and the tank has an established filter, feed the fish more often. Feeding them 3-5 times a day will provide the fish with more food to make more blood and they will last longer compared to fish getting less food. This is due to the intestinal worms sucking the blood out of the fish and eventually killing the fish from low blood pressure and anemia (lack of blood).

When you feed more often, do more water changes and gravel cleaning to compensate for the extra bioload caused by the extra food.

Deworming medications are normally quite safe and have few, if any side effects. However, if the fish have been treated with other harsher chemicals (Malachite green, formaldehyde, etc), then give them a few weeks before trying a dewormer.

In the mean time, if you suspect the fish have intestinal worms and the tank has an established filter, feed the fish more often. Feeding them 3-5 times a day will provide the fish with more food to make more blood and they will last longer compared to fish getting less food. This is due to the intestinal worms sucking the blood out of the fish and eventually killing the fish from low blood pressure and anemia (lack of blood).

When you feed more often, do more water changes and gravel cleaning to compensate for the extra bioload caused by the extra food.
Wow!!! Thank you so so much!! I ll feed them more often! I am already doing daily water changes haha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back