Non-Splended Availability

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrightt3

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just a general question but how do you get hold of some of the rarer betta species like the snakehead betta? I've never seen them at a fish shop or online...
I'm guessing that they are quite expensive too?

That'll be why they're "rare" species, then... :rofl:

I found an importer online at one point up in Scotland called The Fish Hut - give them a Google. I've never bought from them, though, so can't vouch for their service.

Never heard of the fish hut up here o.0

Not sure about any local breeders over there but it might be easier to find stock by looking for it under it's true name...Betta Channoides.  I know a lot of wild ones can be imported as long as you can find a person in a Thai/Malaysian country to sell them and if you can find a transhipper.  I have some contacts with people over here that might know someone over that way.  I will check with them and post back if I can find any info for ya.

Wildbetta said:
Not sure about any local breeders over there but it might be easier to find stock by looking for it under it's true name...Betta Channoides.  I know a lot of wild ones can be imported as long as you can find a person in a Thai/Malaysian country to sell them and if you can find a transhipper.  I have some contacts with people over here that might know someone over that way.  I will check with them and post back if I can find any info for ya.

That's kind of you but there's no need to go out of your way or anything. It was just out of curiosity really as I don't have enough room for them until I get round to taking some of my mollies down to the lfs.

Oh no.  It really is not a big deal. The more people that have wild bettas the better since a lot of them are threatened or endangered in the wild :D    There is a breeder in Scotland that routinely sells on aquabid under the name Strathclyde.  They tend to have a lot of different wilds all the time.  

Wildbetta said:
The more people that have wild bettas the better since a lot of them are threatened or endangered in the wild
biggrin.png

My thoughts exactly!
Another question though, why is the term wild betta given to these and not the splendens? 
Is it because the splenden has been selectively bred from it's wild counterpart?

Nice avatar pic by the way, i'm guessing thats your betta

One of my Betta Albimarginata (sister species to Betta Channoides) males. :D  

Wild bettas are bettas that are not a domesticated strain.  Essentially splendens was bred to be the domesticated strain that you see most often nowadays.  You will never see a betta in the wild that looks like the ones you see in the stores.  LOL  There are still wild betta splendens and they can be gotten.  They look a bit different from the "normal" bettas you see with that name.  Most people would not even know that a wild betta splendens is actually related to the ones you see in the store of course that is decades of breeding separation but still.  :)  Actually splendens have their own complex of species:  splendens, imbellis, smaragdina, Stiktos, Mahachaiensis, and siamorientalis.  
Some are more difficult to find than others though just like other wild bettas. From my sources...Colin Dunlop from The Fish Hut is one of your best sources over there in addition to the guy I posted earlier.  Colin actually spoke to me on FB.  He doesn't have any Channoides at this time but they are easy to get a hold of as are other wilds.  The next big Asian shipment is July 1st.  There is a local breeder over there that has some F1(fry from a wild pair) Channoides at the moment that I can get info from him to you if you want as well.  

If you have FB, I suggest you join this group:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/317863318348263/320750858059509/?notif_t=group_comment
It is the Species Maintenance Program page for wild betta species

Just looked up wild splendens on youtube, i was aware they were different but i didn't know it was that drastic!
Its weird to think that a splendens most distinctive feature (fins) is non existant in naure...
I'll be sure to check out the fish hut early july, thanks for the tip!

Do the wild bettas have any special requirements that i should know about? I can't find many decent sites about them...

They are normally nowhere near as picky as the domesticated ones surprisingly.  Most of them do like blackwater conditions so tannin rich water is a positive.  Lots of driftwood and hardwood leaves.  A lot of them can be kept in groups unlike the domesticated splendens.

Okay, cheers for the advice, my lfs occasionally sells indian almond leave so i'll pick some of those up if i can.

Awesome! o_O I love bettas :D Was thinking of getting a Betta stiktos instead of Betta splendens though. Any place to get those in Mexico? :-?

Wildbetta said:
Its really hard to find a good betta breeder in Malaysia, not sure about Thailand. All the bettas ive seen are the normal ones you see in a pet shop. I should know, i live in Malaysia!

Most reactions

Back