Non Native Species In The Uk

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

~T~

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've always been facinated by things that shouldnt be, I've always kept and bred various hybrid fish and lately I've been reading up on the non native species living in Britiain. It would appear we have all sorts of birds, mammals, fish and reptiles making their homes here. I've been reading about the reptiles lately, its amazing they can withstand our cold climate. I've mostly seen the common aliens like grey squirrels, canada geese and american mink but I have spotted a ring necked parakeet (not sure if it was a recent escapee as the feral ones mostly live down south).

Anyone seen any non natives? Pics?

I live next to a country park and about 2 years ago somebody released some canaries there. Since then they have reproduced, though it hasn't been as cold as it has been just lately, so theres been no reports by the local twitchers.

I take my dog around the park and every so often you'll get a flash of brilliant red or green fly past, it was quite good to see.

Wow canaries thats pretty cool. Suppse they are similar to our finches so stand a good chance of getting esablished.

We have a big lake near to me and theres been turtles living there now for about 12-15yrs....seen them alot when i used to do security work there.....

Also someone recently caught a red bellied pirahna down our local water way,but i never saw it so sceptical about the truth on that one...

yes the grey squirrels are a real pain in the b###......We have a small col of red squirrels left here on brownsea island,as yet untouched by greys,hope it stays that way,obviously greys are not the actual probs,just the diesase they carry and the size and eggarness to out compete our little reds..

oh yes ive seen john doreys being caught and seen the sunfish from bournemouth pier which are not locals but making this there home now, and the poor whale who got stranded in our bay recently but she died..

hi, every so often, when i'm in my garden i hear a squawk that must be a parrot of some sort, but there are no pet ones in the area.

cheers :good:

sadly, i only ever see invaders. well except for foxes.
we are overrun with the pest Grey Squirl. but i got a gun, so there are fewer now :good:. trips to the river reveal American Red Signal Crayfish. both have, virtually, destroyed their "indigenous" counter parts. Parrots, as in any other conurbations, pop up from time to time, too.

at my old house a few years ago when i used to live right next to the woods that had a pond in it we got a frog in out garden that was red and black i think it might of been a dart frog but duno someone must have let it free in the woods. i duno if its a native snake or not but when i got fishing ive seen it a few times its black and it sort of swimms along the top of the water ifs definatly a snake not a eel anyone know what it could be?

at my old house a few years ago when i used to live right next to the woods that had a pond in it we got a frog in out garden that was red and black i think it might of been a dart frog but duno someone must have let it free in the woods. i duno if its a native snake or not but when i got fishing ive seen it a few times its black and it sort of swimms along the top of the water ifs definatly a snake not a eel anyone know what it could be?

13479-GrassSnake-450.JPG

did it look like this....in the summer here down by the river you see lots of these basking in coils either in the pond nxt to the river or swimming across the river...grass snake

no it was a jet black colour i did thing it was a eel at first but when it got closer it defently have a snake shaped head willl have to ty and get a pic if i ever see it again ive seen it about 3 times over the last few years when ive been fishing.

i dont think it was a adder ive seen a few adders before and this didnt really look like one?

Yes
berus.jpg

there are four sub species of 'vipera berus' which do seem to come with different camoflauge....beautiful snake and there are only venomous reptile :look:

I dont think adders are big swimmers though.

it could have been but i really dont think it was ive seen a few adders before and it didnt really look like it

the one i saw defenitly looked like a good swimmer it was flying across and was swiming down the river it wasnt just crossing over or anything

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back