Nominate a local store we all should visit.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've moved to a small city, where the offerings at local stores are pretty poor. It's left me scouting stores in places I visit in the wider (4 hour drive) region. But the best store I've been to in the past 5 years was in London, England, up in Bethnal Green. It was shabby and loud with filtration, crammed to the rafters and full of fish I never seen on my continent. Angola barbs, 6 killifish species, tons of fish for micro-tanks - I'm going back there when I can. Might as well visit some museums while I'm at it.

So what is your suggested fish store, if people pass through your town?

Where is it (city, country)?
How does it look from the outside, and on the inside?
What does it carry that makes it special?
Why should we go there?

The thread will work better if we all don't comment or critique - just the places we should go to if we find ourselves wherever you are or have been.

Come to North Carolina! And don't go to any of them! If you are going through NC enjoy a fish keeping desert where there is literally no hope for fish keepers.

Come to North Carolina! And don't go to any of them! If you are going through NC enjoy a fish keeping desert where there is literally no hope for fish keepers.
Simple internet search:

Simple internet search:

Yes. But those are all about 4-6 hours from my area lol
And Carolina aquatics is where my local fish store gets their fish from... Their never healthy

Pet Den, Nederland, TX....not much to look at on the outside, but they DO keep a surprising amount/variety of FW fish...tanks are pretty nasty, high trAtes because of the use of UGFs they never clean, but most of the fish I have bought there have done well for me

I don't have a FB account, so not signed in, not sure if this link will work for you

If you are in the Houston area (1.5 hour drive from where I live), you have a handful of options

Last edited:
I took a leap of faith with my peacock gudgeons cause they were the first fish in the tank and it was fairly inexpensive getting them from there so I did it. Luckily it turned out ok

Pet Den, Nederland, TX....not much to look at on the outside, but they DO keep a surprising amount/variety of FW fish...tanks are pretty nasty, high trAtes because of the use of UGFs they never clean, but most of the fish I have bought there have done well for me

I don't have a FB account, so not signed in, not sure how this link will look

I saw lots of snakes... and just a few tanks lol. Looks like they have a nice selection of stuff there

And then the closest (possibly good) fish store is 45 minutes to an hour away. My dad seemed like he was OK with it but then for some reason my parents both changed and said: "Were not driving out 45mins just to look at a fish store. Stick with the ones here"... I was like oh come on

My favourite place so far is Maidenhead aquatics in Lechlade uk they have gorgeous displays, monster fish and a high pond by the till full of koi 🥰

My favourite place so far is Maidenhead aquatics in Lechlade uk they have gorgeous displays, monster fish and a high pond by the till full of koi 🥰
Heard a ton about them and how good they are. You are lucky 😅

The wet spot in Portland (a few hour drive) and aquarium Co-op (1 hour drive) are my favorites by far. Something a little closer to me is Bridges Pets and they have an amazing amazing fish selection, I go there and almost every time I see a fish I didn’t know existed. The staff tend to be useless in regards to fish identification or care (didn’t know what kind of fish a guppy was) but great store. Went there last week

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back