noisy overflow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B-good

Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon tank that is bottom drilled with an overflow. My return pump is very large (Little giant 4MDQX-SC). I get a lot of noise from the water passing over the overflow. Any suggestions on how to lessen the noise.

you can either get a ball valve and fit it in line with the overflow pipe and reduce the flow so that it floods the pipe but still allows water to pass down. this stops air cavitating down the pipe. you can get the same affect by putting your hand over the end to see how much quieter it is. you just have to be carfull snails don't go down the pipe as they could get stuch at the valve and flod the tank. Another option would be to get an endcap say 1" bigger than the pipe and drill a 5-6mm hole in the middle, then hold this over the pipe so that the bottom of the endcap is under the water but not resting on the pipe. this should reduce the noise too. if you get 4 small pieces of thin pipe 5/8" and glue then in side the endcap vertically, this should then allow the endcap to sit on the pipe in the right position. another option would be to have a durso stand pipe in which the pipe has a T piece on the top and an elbow so that water is taken from just under the surfave and air is taken in via a hole in an endcap on the other part of the T piece. (see pic below)

standpipe.jpg

hope this makes sense.

ste :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back