FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently started having an issue with my All Ponds Solutions external filter, and asked the question re: Beneficial Bacteria's Survival With Filter Shut Down, thus more information re: the filter/tank can be found in that previous topic.  

Having opened up the filter checking all was OK, cleaning around the impeller in case some small grain was trapped in there and putting it all back together, I noted there was still a sound coming from the impeller, so I went on the hunt for more information.

Has anyone used or is aware of Silicon/Silicone Oil and its general uses?  If so, where do you typically purchase it from other than on-line?  I have called a number of different shops with no luck.  Here is the video explaining HOW TO: Fix Impeller Noise using Silicon Oil

This was another I came across using Vaseline, Rattling Impeller Fix.  However, as this is heavier than oil I would expect fine particles may well get clogged up in the Vaseline?

Could you use another oil such as Olive Oil or similar?  I found with my research on the Silicone Oil that it is very safe and will not heat up, unlike some other oils. 

Does anyone else have any ideas or experiences with a noisy impeller and potential solution for fixing it?  If anyone is an expert on oils, I would welcome their input based on the information above.  Thanks in advance.

I bought a tube of silicone grease, which is best.

Vaseline is okay, but turns to horrible brown lumps quite quickly.

I wouldn't use any oils.

Maybe the ceramics are cracked? Did you try re-assembling it several times? Also, is it the impeller for sure or is there air trapped in the filter maybe?
I'd just get a new impeller...

Thanks fluttermoth, would Siicone Lubricant work as well or is that too much like an oil?

Found this old Topic which also adds further insights, Ro Unit O-Ring Lubricant, they conclude much the same although stating it must be food grade.  My main issue is getting hold of it locally.

snazy said:
Maybe the ceramics are cracked? Did you try re-assembling it several times? Also, is it the impeller for sure or is there air trapped in the filter maybe?
I'd just get a new impeller...
Thanks snazy, there is no sign of any damage and have looked closely.  I did initially give the filter a shake to release air but the noise concerned me hence I have switched it off until I can get it running smoothly again.

Did it start just after cleaning?

snazy said:
Did it start just after cleaning?

Sorry, I see you opened it because of the noise.

RCA said:
Thanks fluttermoth, would Siicone Lubricant work as well or is that too much like an oil?

Found this old Topic which also adds further insights, Ro Unit O-Ring Lubricant, they conclude much the same although stating it must be food grade.  My main issue is getting hold of it locally.
There's a safety data sheet on that stuff that says, "Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long term adverse effects in the aquatic environment"!

The grease, in a tube is what you want, although Vaseline will do in a pinch.

Thanks again for being so diligent.  My search for the safest silicone grease is not going too well locally.  I came across this on-line, Lifegard Aquatics Silicone Lubricant, but look at the price because it is from the US! 

Can you tell me fluttermoth which brand you use?  For the time being I think I will just have to use Vaseline as I need to get this filter running again.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
UPDATE: Fixed and running smoothly once again with the Vaseline for now - phew, now I might be able to get on with other pending projects ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back