NOID Rainbow fish. Where's Gary or Lucas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Bought them last year as wee small NOID Rainbows from the LFS. The lemony one seems to be a female and the other a big male..and maybe still growing something.
Anybody know Rainbows?
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

The top picture has a couple of male Melanotaenia boesemani on the right and what looks like a M. lacustris at the back. The yellow fish in the middle is a hybrid and could be anything but looks like it has M. boesemani, sexlineata and possibly herbertaxelrodi in it.

The bottom picture looks like a hybrid between Glossolepis incisus and one of the Melanotaenia splendida varieties. It could have some M. boesemani in it too.

Neither fish should be used for breeding.

As a general rule, if rainbowfish don't have a scientific name and river system, don't buy them.

The following link has information on rainbowfish.

No,not breeding them. Thanks. The top middle lemony color fish is a female...she ignores the other males totally. Just never interested in them,despite all the shaking they do.
The bottom is like second in command in the tank,only the largest M. boesemani is numero uno. M. splendida sounds close.
Hadn't thought hybrids..but no photos on the net really fit.
Thanks.
btw,The M.lacustris spawn in the tank,but they just add to the diet of the other fish. I have no other tanks set up to raise anything,

How does M.splendida rubrostriata sound?..for the second photo?
I think that's it!..Thanks.

Its very nice looking..it gets a gold stripe from the nose through the back when its dueling with other males or showing off to the lemony first fish who ignores all.
I did find a mention that M.splendida rubrostriata reaches a large 6". So far it is the longest Rainbow in the tank and I dont think its stopped growing.

The caudal fin (tail), dorsal and anal fins are wrong for Melanotaenia rubrostriata. All Melanotaenia splendida species (which includes rubrostriata), have speckles in those fins, not a solid colour.

The body is too rounded for a Melanotaenia and is closer to a Glossolepis incisus or Chilatherina species in shape.

If you are in American and the fish was bred locally by a fish farm in America, it will probably be a hybrid. Commercial fish farms in Asia and America have been trying to improve on nature by cross breeding G. incisus and M. boesemani with anything they can, and pumping out hybrid rainbowfish for years. They usually sell them as assorted or unidentified rainbows, or they stick a stupid common name on them like Florida rainbow.

Could be. I did go up and down that chart on the link..and even then they said that Rainbows like M.splendida can really vary in color from stream to stream. But since you see fin differences that means most likely a hybrid.
I'm not breeding so just go with the flow I guess with one of a kind Rainbows.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back