no sump? No skimmer?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sumer_kay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
haha, I was in my lfs, and I asked if I needed a sump and a skimmer for a new reef tank (40 gallons) he said in any tank under 50gallons it isn't really neccesary. I should just get a good over the top filter.
I am on a budget, so tell me what you think. I plan on having the fish below if it makes any difference.(plus live rock and sand)

2 occelaris clown fish :wub:
1 anenome
2 blue green reef chromis
2 2 spot gobys
1 banded coral shrimp
1 pacific conch snail
10 mexican turbo snails
and some other hermits
for clean up. (scarlet or dwarf zebra maybe)

Skimmerless tanks are best attempted by experienced keepers, particularly in very small systems such as yours (under 75G is generally considered very small or nano). A sump and skimmer will expand your water volume and help maintain what will be otherwise difficult to keep stable.

If you have live rock and live sand, no other filtration besides skimmer is needed, though you might want something on hand for running carbon should the need arise.

Someone told me I don't need a skimmer too. I have a small (20 gal tank) which despite my worries is doing pretty fine. I do 10% w/c every 2nd to third day (ie 3 times a week) and I have never had a nitrate reading over 12.5. I don't think I could handle it if the tank was any bigger though...

Larger tanks are easier to maintain leanne. The smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain a balance.... just evapouration can be a total pain.

Your doing pretty well then :D

Large tanks are more stable - agreed. I'd say small tanks are easier to maintain though. There's no way I could handle doing a 10% w/c every other day on a large tank for example... I know I wouldn't need to but my constraint isn't time its space - I simply do not have the room for a 55 gal or 100 gal tank. So far my skimmerless tank appears to be doing fine. Of course if I did have the space then I would do it "properly".

If space is a problem then why not stack two of them? They can look very nice on a stand. The top tank would need an overflow either drilled into the tank or use a hang on the side job. A pump could then be used to cycle the water between the two tanks thus you have double the volume.

The bottom tank does not have to be a sump in the way you may of seen them everywhere else..... it can be setup just like any other tank, perhaps with more plantlife and less fish life.... you could keep a scavenger fish or few shrimp for example.

Why would you do a water change every other day on a large tank? Every other month is more like it, if that...

Why would you do a water change every other day on a large tank? Every other month is more like it, if that...

I did say that...

There's no way I could handle doing a 10% w/c every other day on a large tank for example... I know I wouldn't need to

Stryker - as my tank is already up and running I'm not really in a position to drill and I have a tight fitting hood so a hang on the side is out too. I did consider a sump but logistically its not possible. Good idea though... :D

When I get that muddle of tanks sorted below and have my GSPs rehomed I'm going to play with the sump idea for them.... IE I have plans to use my 70L tank as a sump for the 120L when that tanks inhabitants are rehomed in a new tank and leaving that one to be a brackish tank.

I was thinking of theme of plants and interesting shrimp.... hhhmm damn there goes my imagination again :D

I've read your tank diary, seems I was teaching granny how to suck eggs :thumbs:

Anyways, I'd seriously look into moding the hood for an overflow. Ok so a store one will sting at £70 but they are very very low profile, literally only need half an inch by 6 inch taking out of your hood's lip.

I've read your tank diary, seems I was teaching granny how to suck eggs

Oh no you're not believe me. I am still very much a beginner so any advice and constructive critiscism is much appreciated!

I never thought about sawing a hole. Ooo an excuse to buy a jigsaw - not got one of them. I love my toys...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back