No More Clownfish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

we could also strap wings to our backs and jump of clifs but sadly its just not gonna happen

we could also strap wings to our backs and jump of clifs but sadly its just not gonna happen

LOL WOW, I agree with Ranger. Have you not heard of Hang Gliding?!! Your propably from the UK they don't believe in fun there or any extreme sport so they stick with puss sports like Tenis. But atleast you guys play Rugby. Although I don't think Rugby is a smart sport since its risking major injury. :no:

We could ride bikes and vote for a president that isn't such a dumb nut -_- 8) .

I thought this was a saltwater fish section :rolleyes:

There are many topics turning this way lately, and its very annoying. There are other forums for discussing sports, moon travel, and maybe not Politicians. Can we keep threads on track please, considering what has happened to this thread, and Wolfs. :rolleyes:

We could ride bikes and vote for a president that isn't such a dumb nut -_- 8) .

I thought this was a saltwater fish section :rolleyes:

There are many topics turning this way lately, and its very annoying. There are other forums for discussing sports, moon travel, and maybe not Politicians. Can we keep threads on track please, considering what has happened to this thread, and Wolfs. :rolleyes:

Don't look at me for starting the off topic-ness. :rolleyes:

:shifty: :shifty:

:ninja:

I love, love, love clowns. But, I agree...a lot of LFS's are playing off the nemo thing to sell (and more than likely kill) some of my favorite marine fish. I see a lot of hippo's get crammed in nano cubes these days, not to mention even hearing of clowns being sold to uninformed people heading home to throw them in fresh water tanks. I also agree that there are soooo many much more entertaining and beautiful fish that could be added to aquariums, even nano tanks. My love for them derives from all the display aquariums in random seafood restaurants at the beach I saw as a child as we pretty much lived on the coast while I was growing up...and still do I guess. I just remember watching them under those blue lights and falling in love. Just added my third clown to my tank today actually, and Im damn proud of it :)

BUT just to add some fuel to this fire...I think tomato clowns are ugly :D

Urine is, since it doesn't stink as much and is more easily disposed of.

I read what was written in the above thread, and curing all diseases is nice and all, but since we are already pushing this planet's capacity, something's gotta give... I mean really, what would you rather; for humanity to consist of many healthy, happy ones and a few that had to sacrifice themselves for the good of the rest (as in dying), or nine billion starving, over crowded, fighting, antibiotic-resistant disease-ridden people that no longer see the point in surviving? I personally would sacrifice myself if it meant allowing my six billion fellow humans to live happily/healthily, but I suppose most wouldn't...

...just my bit of philosophy.

As for global warming, I used to completely believe in this, but then I realized that the Earth has been plenty hotter in the past than it is now, and especially in the last few million years Earth has been falling in and out of ice ages. Whose to say that we aren't just at a point between one? Nobody, that's who. Man certainly isn't helping the situation but I don't really think there is much we can do to stop global warming, and in my opinion our resources would be far better spent on things we can change and that mean more anyways. Environmental and wildlife conservation (in all it's forms) springs to mind, since a lack of this will kill us and our other animal pals off way faster than a planet that's a couple degrees warmer will.

As for clownfish, I love maroon clowns... I like the others as well, but the day that Lucifer strolls down the street to Fynnigan's will come before the one in which another ocellaris enters my tank... and I apologise for stealing your metaphor Andy.

Don't even get me started on 'Finding Nemo' :lol:

I certainly agree with Jordon in that they have become the icon of the hobby, and I really hate it when every other fsh in the pet store is dubbed "NEMO!" by every small child that looks at them. This hobby is growing less diverse every day, with a painfully dull, common, "standard" beginning to emerge; a pair of Clownfish, a Dwarf Angel, a Sixline Wrasse, and a Goby of some kind.

As much as I like Clownfish (I myself am "guilty" of owning a pair), I also agree with Jordon in that there are far better fish to choose from; Frogfishes, Lionfishes, Scorpionfishes, Triggers, Filefishes, Morays, Puffers, et cetera.

However. I agree with Mr.September15 in that few people would say that clownfish are their favourite fish. Most people (as hard as it is to believe :hey: :lol: ) are very undereducated when it comes to animals. Most would automatically think of the biggest, strongest, or the one they think is most ferocious (Piranhas; and I can definetly say that they are no where near the most aggressive fish :drool: ).

On the other hand, Maroon Clownfish, in my opinion, are an excellent fish, and not boring at all. They are also the only Clownfish that I would call 'beautiful' and not just 'cute'. :drool: I will definetly think twice about passing up a pair of Maroons when the 77 goes up. Coincidentally, Maroons are the only ones I would call 'tough' and feel proud of the fact that they could hold their own in a fight :hey: . You can all bet that as soon as my new tank goes up that it will be filled with the predators of the coral reefs instead of the prey :lol:

But it will also have invertebrates and corals, so in a sense it will be a variant of the "standard" reef set up. Kick-ass fishes are the way I'm headed :hey: no more "prey pets" for me, thank you. :lol:

-Lynden

Your basic set of fish are very common yes, but take into consideration why. Cheap, how many new hobbyists plan on spending a few hundred dollars on something thats "just a fish". Fits in small tanks, although its not good, most new hobbyists start in small tanks to save money, again, same thing as above. Available, tell me, when you first started tanks, did you have the option of starting with a rare frogfish that was in stock all the time when you went to your lfs and they constantly got new stock? Last but not least, hardiness, many people want to start off with a hardy fish, i know lots of the fish you mentioned are hardy, but taking into consideration all the previous points i made, and that the good ol tank raised false percula clownfish are deemed the best fish to start off with by millions of fish tank owners and store owners, people are going to start with the clown, go on to gobies, then wrasses. Heck, its what i did/plan on doing.

How many beginners do you know start with a deepwater 200 dollar frogfish? Rephrase, how many beginners would you TRUST with a 200$ frogfish?

That aside, i find maroons very nice looking clownfish, especially because they come in a variety of colors.

Yeah, I agree. You can go ahead and ignore that post... a person can grow up a lot in a year. Hence the number of smilies in that post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back