No Fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jbrierleytj01

Reaction score
hi my fish have white spot at the moment but i have noticed they have lost alot of their fins

i have treated the water for whitespot and in a few days will be treating the water for amon... thing i duno wa it called and getting rid of the thing in the tap water lol
soz i just dont know how to spell the words

hi there,

i'm guess you mean ammonia, we'll need a bit more information about the tank before we can get to the bottom of the problems that you're having at the moment, can you give me as much of the information below as possible

size of the tank
species of fish in it and how many of each species
what symptoms your fish are showing
equipment on the tank (filter, heater etc)
how long the tank has been running for
describe anything you did to the tank before you got fish (e.g. left it running a week, added any products etc)
do you have a water test kit, if so what type is it?
if you have a test kit then what are your readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
what maintenance routine do you have e.g. weekly water changes, cleaning the filter etc
what are you using to treat the white spot

THE tank is 160 litres
ive only got 1 fish its like a fancy gold fish
floating at the bootom or hiding for days on end
got filter and heater
tank has been running for years

do you have a test kit for the water? if so what are your stats for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? the single most common cause of all diseases with fish is problems with the water quality so finding out this information is extremely important.

goldfish are extremely high waste producers, it could be that as the goldie has got older and grown the amount of waste it produces has grown, the filter may be slightly underpowered and now unable to cope with that amount of waste. do you know the make/model of the filter?

alternatively something may have gone a bit wrong with the filter, how often do you clean it out and can you describe the process you use to do this?

Most reactions

Back