No algae problem in pleco only tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have three tanks setup and running.

Bad algae problems in 20 gallon long with Betta Max.

Slight algae problems in heavily planted 55 gallon with Angelfish, Corys, a hillstream loach, a few baby BN Plecos left in tank.

No algae, clean as a whistle in 29 gallon BN Pleco only tank with two adults and about fifteen babies BN Plecos. This tank as been up and running for two months now.

Just make sure the plecoes are all getting enough to eat I blanch slices of cucumber for them almost every other day.
29 gallon pleco only tank.jpg

Is there such a thing as growing algae on purpose? ? Usually its something that happens by accident!

Looking great! I've not had any algae growth in my 170L either, strangely enough. I suppose that the corys, shrimp and snails do a good job of cleaning it up.

Is there such a thing as growing algae on purpose? ? Usually its something that happens by accident!
Yes! I started doing this in the hopes that I'd be able to get otocinclus in the autumn (they need a lot of algae so I wanted to start growing it).

I always have problems with algae, so seeing this tank with no algae problems is very novel to me.

Looking great! I've not had any algae growth in my 170L either, strangely enough. I suppose that the corys, shrimp and snails do a good job of cleaning it up.

Thanks now I need to figure out what to do with all these BN Plecos. :)

Yes! I started doing this in the hopes that I'd be able to get otocinclus in the autumn (they need a lot of algae so I wanted to start growing it).
How does one go about doing this? I'm assuming leave the lights on for longer and dose extra ferts?

Collect tank water, an algae sample and leave it in a sunny area. Goes wild.
What.. And then collect it and dump it into your tank? Rather than just letting it grow in the tank?

Collect tank water, an algae sample and leave it in a sunny area. Goes wild.
Here you guys are trying to grow algae and in my tanks it grows wild and is a nuisance. I have all kinds, blackbeard, angel hair, green, etc. But thank goodness, I don't have the blackbeard algae as I did a couple of years ago, you don't want that stuff.

How does one go about doing this? I'm assuming leave the lights on for longer and dose extra ferts?
Yes, leaving the lights on for 14+ Hours in a day, will definitely get you algae.

There is! People usually grow algae on purpose, when they want to feed new snails (when no such algae exists in the new tank) or a Pleco.

My new tank was battling with diatoms, it was suffocating the plants. I know it very normal in new tanks until it balances itself out so I got a few otos and they cleared the whole thing in a day ??‍♀️ which is awesome but also annoying but they won't eat algae wafers or the veggies I've tried so I'm happy to grow algae in the tank...but yes, the dreaded black beard ? I have it in another tank and I know the longer I leave it the worse it will get but can't face the thought of tackling it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back