Nitrites not showing up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Anthony1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all, Iā€™m two weeks into a cycle on a thirty gallon aquarium which I plan to use to spawn my Coryā€™s in . I heavily seeded the filter from the start with media from my other tanks and have been using a shrimp head and fish food as my ammonia source. The problem Iā€™ve got is Iā€™ve only had ammonia show up on the api test kit no nitrites and when I reduce the ammonia into the tank itā€™s going back down to zero the day after with no nitrite showing up. My nitrates are around 10ppm . My question is when using seeded media is it possible to not see the nitrites and be cycled because enough nitrifying bacteria were added in the first place??

My situation is slightly different - I used tetra safe start plus for my tank for a fish-in cycle. I have constant .25-.5 ammonia and always 0 nitrites. I've been told that it is possible I won't see nitrites really go up because I used that starter bacteria. Maybe it is the same for your seeded media?

My nitrates are around 10ppm . My question is when using seeded media is it possible to not see the nitrites and be cycled because enough nitrifying bacteria were added in the first place??
Yes. Sounds like you are good to go.

Yes. Sounds like you are good to go.
Thankyou, I thought I may be cycled but wanted to ask more experienced people what they think as Iā€™ve always seen nitrites but I guess that ammonia is going into nitrates isnā€™t it.

My situation is slightly different - I used tetra safe start plus for my tank for a fish-in cycle. I have constant .25-.5 ammonia and always 0 nitrites. I've been told that it is possible I won't see nitrites really go up because I used that starter bacteria. Maybe it is the same for your seeded media?
Yeah could well be mate, you may want to use a bit of prime to protect your stock if you arenā€™t already

Depends if you are measuring any nitrate? Ammonia should be going down and nitrate going up if you have 0 nitrite.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back