Nitrite

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,

At last I think I am almost there.

My Nitrite level is 0.1mg/l (it was 4.0mg/l)

Hopefully, it will get down to zero then I can get some new fish!!

Hi all,

I'm going to wait until next week until I get some new fish, hopefully by then the Nitrite will be zero.

I am going to get a few Indian Glassfish and see how it goes for a couple of weeks and then probably get some Rainbow fish or something.

Anyway, does anyone know a easy method of starting the siphon action on the gravel cleaner, (I don't want to get water in my mouth) lol :laugh:

It takes a bit of practise! Just breathe in till you see it coming along the pipe, you must make sure that the end of the pipe is below the bottom of the "suction" bit there you go :)

Have fun! :laugh:

You know you're a true aquarist when you've had your first mouthful of fishy water :) :p
There are gizmos on the market that will start the syphoning. My LFS sells them, otherwise, submerse the whole syphon together with all the tubing and let the whole thing fill up with water. Once it's full, put your finger over the small end and put it in the bucket or whatever you use to keep the dirty water in. Leave the head of the syphon in the tank, and, if you've done it right, the water should start flowing :) Personally I always use the mouth method. Once the water is past the level of the tank, then it free flows and doesn't get near my mouth at all :D

The other thing to do if you fill buckets. Is when the bucket is full pinch the top of the tube and put it into the tank but above the siphon end. If you can use something to hold it there it will continue siphoning round and then you only have to risk "fish water mouth" once every water change :)

I have had the fishy water once, hence my asking the question.

But should you spit or swallow??????? :but: sorry!!!!!!! :blush:

Ahhh the days of water changes before my python...boy do I NOT miss those days :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never had the pleasure. I use the method Gad mentioned, except I only submerse the syphon end and let the water run down the tubing.

The gravel cleaner I have you lift it up and down in the water and it starts the syphon itself so no fishy water mouth for me.

In your reply to the other question I spit lol

B) Donna B)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back