Nitrite Levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kevin8688

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys n gals, I had just recently been hit with Ich in my fish tank and started dosing my fish tank with Kordon Ich Attack. I was doing my water change just today(about 25%-30%) and the Nitrite level in my fish tank were 0.25. I then did a big water change today to see if that would help lower the Nitrite levels. I had just finished a couple minutes ago and check the levels on Nitrite and they were 0.50.

I thought it was pretty strange so I decided to check my tap water to see if it had Nitrite in it and from what I can see it looks like its at 1ppm, maybe 0.50 or so. The ammonia in my tap are at 0 and so is my fish tank.

I really don't want to do another water change because I'll be adding to the problem. I never really thought to check my tap which was probably a mistake. My Nitrite level have never been above 0 since a couple days ago.

Any advice on what I should do?

Edit: Nitrite level never been above 0 in my fish tank.

Your filter bacteria should have taken care of that nitrite. leave it and see if it gets lower. if it doesn't your filter bacteria may be struggling with the medicine but don't stop adding it.

Alrighty, I'll take another test on the tank tomorrow :]. I got some water from my fridge and tested it and the Nitrite is at 0 there. Not sure if I'll use that though since it takes like 30 minutes to fill up a gallon xD. I'll probably have to buy a filter for my tap.

Nitrite levels still haven't dropped over night, I just filled a 5 gallon container with my fridge water. Nitrite levels from that water are at 0 so it should be safe to put into my fish tank. Not sure if 5 gallons would be enough might fill up my other 5 gallon container so that it would be around 75% water change. Nitrate levels at the moment in the fish tank are at around 40 or so.

Decided to check on the levels one last time before starting the water change. From what the levels said last night they were at 0 nitrite. Now after filling up around 7ish gallons I decide to check it again and the levels are at 0.50 :S . No idea what just happened but I'm not going to use that water because it is the same thing D:. Might just have to buy some chems. to drop down the nitrite. If anyone has any other advice it would be really nice about now :p .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back