Nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

xxamyxx85

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading through some threads on here regarding nitrates and plants. I have been using the pozzani nitrate removal system for my tap water, when I first use a new cartridge itā€™s removes all of the nitrates from my tap water (usually 26ppm) however it slowly builds back up. Itā€™s at around 10ppm at the moment so I am due to change it however I did a water change yesterday with water at 10ppm and my tanks are at 0ppm nitrates today. I know the fast growing plants will take some up so my question is this, if I had enough fast growing plants would I still need the nitrate removal system?

Adding water with nitrates to a tank with fish does stress and harm them to a degree. If you can remove the nitrates with plants before the water is added to the tank then you can stop using the filter. This is easily accomplished by filling a large plastic container or spare aquarium with tap water and adding some floating plants. Give them lots of light and when the nitrates are 0ppm, dechlorinate that water and use it on the fish tanks.

Adding water with nitrates to a tank with fish does stress and harm them to a degree. If you can remove the nitrates with plants before the water is added to the tank then you can stop using the filter. This is easily accomplished by filling a large plastic container or spare aquarium with tap water and adding some floating plants. Give them lots of light and when the nitrates are 0ppm, dechlorinate that water and use it on the fish tanks.
I am in uk, could I fill a large tub and leave it in the garden with plants and a clear lid and just warm the water and dechlorinate when I need it? Would the plants be okay in very cold weather/water? Would it matter if the tub was sealed? And would it need aeration? Thank you.

I am in uk, could I fill a large tub and leave it in the garden with plants and a clear lid and just warm the water and dechlorinate when I need it? Would the plants be okay in very cold weather/water? Would it matter if the tub was sealed? And would it need aeration? Thank you.

We had a minus 5 last night in South Wales. Had a film of ice on top of the pond

We had a minus 5 last night in South Wales. Had a film of ice on top of the pond
It was cold last night, I am southern, We didnā€™t even have a frost this morning however I know that will change, we are forecast snow tomorrow, I did wonder how this might work, maybe I could use a pond heater?

Generally it is hard for plants to get nitrogen down to zero.. Typically in addition to nitrate plants need 13 other nutrient other than light and CO2 to grow if any one nutrient runs out the plants will stop consuming nitrate. I dose to 10ppm nitrate and have floating plants and I can go more than a week with no evidence of nutrient deficiencies but nitrate doesn't go to zero.

Yes, using a nitrate detoxifier can help until your fast-growing aquarium grows enough to soak up the nitrates completely. I prefer using Seachem primer, its subtle but does the job nicely. Some amazing fast-growing aquarium plants include ā€“ water wisteria (you can plant it in the substrate or let it free float), Anarchis, hornwort, pennywort, and other floating plants.

However, recently I discovered quite a strong suggestion from one of my friends who is also a fish keeper. Using Pothos is the best remedy to keep the nitrates under control. Of course, you might be thinking- Pothos is not an aquatic plant, so you canā€™t submerge the entire plant into the tank. You can simply grow the plant outside and then cut a stem and place it in the aquarium. Make sure the leaves are above water. Over time, you will see that the submerged pothos will develop some roots and the vine that grow from it will suck up the nitrates like never before. Sounds crazy but totally works like a charm.

Richy

Yes, using a nitrate detoxifier can help until your fast-growing aquarium grows enough to soak up the nitrates completely. I prefer using Seachem primer, its subtle but does the job nicely. Some amazing fast-growing aquarium plants include ā€“ water wisteria (you can plant it in the substrate or let it free float), Anarchis, hornwort, pennywort, and other floating plants.

However, recently I discovered quite a strong suggestion from one of my friends who is also a fish keeper. Using Pothos is the best remedy to keep the nitrates under control. Of course, you might be thinking- Pothos is not an aquatic plant, so you canā€™t submerge the entire plant into the tank. You can simply grow the plant outside and then cut a stem and place it in the aquarium. Make sure the leaves are above water. Over time, you will see that the submerged pothos will develop some roots and the vine that grow from it will suck up the nitrates like never before. Sounds crazy but totally works like a charm.

Richy
So I have just bought the pothos plant after doing a little research, thank you so much!

Hi
My pozzani nitrate filter doesnā€™t seem to last long, especially as at the moment I am treating a sick fish and doing lots of daily water changes.

I filled a tub with tap water, air stone, then I added salvinia, frogbit and a few pothos leaves but until the plants start growing I wonā€™t have much nitrate reduction , can I put a normal internal aquarium filter and something like nitrazorb inside to remove the nitrates from this tub until plants start growing and taking it up?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back