Nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fantazia

Reaction score
How do you keep Nitrates, down in the aquarium? Plants need nitrates to grow, dont they, can nitrates be toxic if its to high,
I always check my watere quality ammonia, and nitrites, are always 0 but nitrates, can sometimes be a little high not over the board but up sometimes, how can i avoid the nitrates to get to high.

Hi Fantazia,

As far as I'm aware high nitrates in themselves do not cause a direct problem unless there is a sudden change - nitrate shock - but I'm inclined to believe (from personnal experience) that long exposure to high levels may cause the fishes immune system to be reduced and make them susceptable to other diseases.

I say this because I went through several months with good water readings except for nitrAte which was usually in the 80-90 range (it comes out the tap at 60), and was subjected to several problems every few weeks and seemed to be regularly putting medications into the tank - not good and expensive! :grr:

Regular water changes will remove nitrate - depending on what it comes out the tap at - try testing it, it can also vary on different days and at different times.

Amore expensive option is to use a mix of tap and RO if your lfs does it (or your own unit)

Some people don't rate it but I use NitraZorb which is a pouch that goes in the filter which is rechargeable in a salt solution, and this now keeps my nitrates arround the 25 mark and (touch wood) no more mystery illnesses :)

There are some plants that are very good at feeding on nitrates can't remember what they are of the top of my head - maybe Rose can help out here.

Anyway hope that helps ;)

:)

Plants need nitrates to grow

Correct, the faster growing the plants the better, perhaps ones like "elodea densa" . Like WWW said rose i am sure can give more help on this one :thumbs: They use the nitrates to make proteins inside them so obviously more growth = more nitrates used!

Plants will not cure your problem they may help a little, it is hard to stop your nitrate increasing unless you have an almost completely planted tank, the best way to keep them down is by doing frequent water changes :thumbs:

Wills right - my community tank is a jungle and the nitrates are always very low, but my cichlid tank with very few plants - just some java ferns growing from the rocks is always quite high in nitrates. The high levels don't seem to affect the fish, but I always try to do a large water change at least once a week.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back