Nitrates (no3) in tap water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Duncan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My water tap tests have shown Nitrates @ 50-75 mg/l. What is the best method of getting it down, I've had the tap water running a few minutes before filling up my bucket of water. I've put in decholrinator and conditioner then tested the water after a brew and I get Nitrates @ 50-75mg/l. The Nitrites are 0.

Duncan

Boiling the water first might help. I wasn't going to recommend it as I used boiled water in a waterchange and had a couple of small probs but thats probably not related. I can hear Pete laughing.
Davy says a RO unit.
just remebered active charcoal should help i think.

LAUGHING? MOI?????? lol

Ok a R.O unit will sort things out but they are expensive....
about £200 for a half way decent one and if your on a water meter you'll soon notice your bill increasing :(

I am soon to get one of these for myself as i am setting up a Discus tank :D and as anyone who knows about Discus will tell you, you need an R.O unit if your gonna keep these fish lol

I personally use a Fluidized Bed Filter on one of my tanks and they are the best thing since sliced gravy m8 lol :p

They are a cheaper option at around £100 for a good one and should make the problem you have a thing of the past as there is no better filter for stripping ammonia, nitrate and nitrites out of the tank water even to the point that i think you could do a water change using your water and in about 1 hour it would of stripped all the toxins from the whole tank :D

This is the way that i would go about it but someone out there may know a different way?

I have even used water from the tank this runs on in emergencies to set up new tanks so as to be sure that they are toxin free and when you bare in mind that the big tank its on houses my Red Tail Cat you can see its worth its salt as these fish kick out massive amounts of ammonia etc

These things really are a great invention

My back was that sore after doing the garden I've drunk to many bears to think of the thing I'm thinking about, So wait till the morning and I'll tell you, it's a lot cheeper than RO units but work the same way :)

ive got the same problem with high nitrates from the tap. i bought a nitraking (34 pounds) and i run the water from the tap through the nitraking and into a water butt. i keep an airstone running in it and then i have gallons of water all ready for changes.(which are alot in my house lol), you just re charge it with salt.

sue

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back