Nitrates issue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The tester in the images is a nitrate tester. These usually work by converting nitrate to nitrite then measuring that. If there is nitrite also in the water, this gives a false reading for nitrate.
You need to test for ammonia and nitrite as well as nitrate.

Which ammonia remover did you use?
Can you tell us the brand of your testing kit, please?

The tester in the images is a nitrate tester. These usually work by converting nitrate to nitrite then measuring that. If there is nitrite also in the water, this gives a false reading for nitrate.
You need to test for ammonia and nitrite as well as nitrate.

Which ammonia remover did you use?
Can you tell us the brand of your testing kit, please?
I tested both nitrates and nitrite both as bad as each other and I used interpets ammonia remover, the testing kit it from utlabs also

My test kit has testing for both nitrite and nitrates and both were reading high. Boarding between 70-80
Disregard the nitrate reading until there is 0 nitrite. Most of the nitrate you are seeing is actually nitrite and not nitrate.

Having said that, you need to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back