Nitrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sprky182

Reaction score
I have a 6 week old 29g fw aquarium. I am trying to find a schedule for water changes per my bio load. I have been changing about 20-25% water every week while cycling. As soon as my amonia and nitrite zeroed out I thought I would wait an extra week to do my water change. I am trying to see if I can change my water every two weeks instead of once a week. I checked my water quality the end of the first week all looked good zero ammonia and nitrite and about 10 ppm nitrate, now on the end of the second week which was today I tested all at zero my nitrate this time was about 30ppm. Is that okay having the nitrate that high or do I need to do more frequent water changes? Also my ph will not come down, the water that I use (store bought ro) test right on the money at about 7 but when I check my tank it hovers around 8. I havent done anything about it, no ph down or anything like that, but any advice on that as well?

Thanks, Joe

I think that 30 ppm is not too bad, my tank fluctuates between 20 - 30 ppm.

You can also try a product called NitraZorb that also helps to keep the NitrAtes down

I'm not an expert on ro water but thought that it was unstable with regards to pH fluctuations unless buffers are added - infact I thought this was essential..... :unsure:

What fish is it that you are intending to keep as the majority of tropical freshwater fish will be perfectly happy in treated tap water - saving you a small fortune???

Do you have any fish in there at the moment??

IMHO you should be fine with your tap water unless you plan to keep particulary demanding species.

Like ccl suggests the nitrate levels are not tooo high and I use nitraZorb to keep my levels in check.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back