Nitrate testing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mnccnm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone know of another, more acurate way of testing for nitrates other than the API kit? 10ppm looks the same as 20ppm, and 40ppm looks the same as 80ppm. Even diluting the sample 1/4 to 3/4, the test result can't be determined between 10 or 20, so time 4 = 40 or 80. This is ridiculous.

Salifert nitrate is reputed to be easier, if more expensive. Although it is a marine tester a number of members, both current and those no longer on the forum, have used it for freshwater.

Hello :)
To me best - should I say "only" - way of precisely testing nitrates (and other parameters) is JBL drops.

If you do not have enough room in your budget for a steady supply of highly accurate liquid testing kits, then I think this RUNBO aquarium test stripsis the best thing. These test strips are surprisingly accurate for their type of kit. I have heard some people complain that the test strips are not very dependable because they are not consistent. This means that two strips may provide vastly different results. So far, I have not experienced any inconsistencies using this test kit, and I am almost halfway through the 100 test strips.

The downside is that like most strips which do multiple tests, they don't contain ammonia. A separate tester for ammonia is needed.

When I have used test strips, I have always assumed that if Nitrite and Nitrate are zero then Ammonia will be zero. So never bothered about an Ammonia test. I have always found test strips fast and convenient to use.

In new tanks, ammonia is important as is nitrite. Mature tanks don't need to be tested for ammonia or nitrite routinely, but should the fish ever start behvaing oddly, it is useful to rule out ammmonia or nitrite as the cause.

I have heard some people complain that the test strips are not very dependable because they are not consistent.
They ARE consistent if used this way :

BANDELETTE E.jpg

When I have used test strips, I have always assumed that if Nitrite and Nitrate are zero then Ammonia will be zero. So never bothered about an Ammonia test. I have always found test strips fast and convenient to use.
Today, having repeatedly tested and treated nitrite levels in a plant cycled tank I decided to test ammonia too. The nitrites were 0 but ammonia measured 1.0 ! I was pretty surprised and horrified!

As long as renewal water is at the same temperature and of the same composition, there is no broblem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back