The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-=Joel=-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im all confused :blink:

Went to use the calculator regarding mixing up a dose for nitrate and have some questions.

Can anyone tell me the difference between

Nitrate in Potassium Nitrate & Potassium in Potassium Nitrate ?
Which one is potassium Nitrate ?

Also ...

By going the EI would buying the following work out:

Potassium Nitrate mixed at a ratio of 2000ml of water to 1300 grams which should equal 1ppm
Trace Elements what ratio would this be mixed at ?
What else would I need to add, amd what dosages ?

How long does a mix last for in a pop bottle and can it go off ?

I hope someone can understand this post and give me some help,

Joel

Hi,

To answer your first question, Potassium Nitrate contains both Potassium and Nitrate, to the ratio 39:61 approx. The calculator gives you the option to check both for your chosen dosage, but; if you make up a dose that gives you 1ppm of Nitrate then you will also be dosing about 0.64ppm of Potassium.

As for how long it keeps, I'm not sure. I don't tend to make up such big measures. I make up 300 ml at a time and that lasts me a month or two.

Trace elements: it depends on which traces you are using. I use use Aqua Essentials and they give both a recommended mix and a dry dose. Others I'm not sure of.

I also dose Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) which is about 70% Phosphate and 30% KH2. Just how much potassium is in KH2 I'm not sure; it's been 30 years since I left school and I was crap at chemistry!!! :lol: :lol:

Brian

Trying to keep it simple mate, honest.

I am hoping to have ready mixed solutions so I can just pour out solution to measure and pour into the tank.

According to the calculator for 1000ml (1litre) of water mixed with 650g of nitrate will mean 1ppm per ml of water, which should mean to get 5ppm I need to add 5ml of water. This is for a 400litre tank.

This I hope will mean its very easy to use and measure. I would hate to guess using teaspoons etc Lol.

Am I doing it right ?

I will need to get some test kits for the other things but I hope this will work. I just worried how long it would last mixed up ?

Doing things this way also mean if im away all I need to do is ask the person looking after the tank to add 5ml of this 5ml of that etc ..

Joel

Be careful. Firstly make sure that you are getting the correct readings from your test kits. I have had all sorts of problems with nitrate test kits and I still don't think I'm getting the right answers.
Secondly, I'm guessing that your tank volume is a total of 400 litres. You have to remember to remove the volume that your substrate/decor takes up. You need the volume of water only in the calcs. It'll have to be a best guess I expect.
Thirdly, KNO3 has a maximum solubility in water. I believe it's about 357 grammes per litre. That is, once 357g of KNO3 has dissolved in 20 degree celcius water (1 litre) no more will dissolve in it. You will not be able to dissolve 650g of KNO3 in 1 litre of water.

Hope that helps

WK

Just half your quantity/concentration levels in the stock solution. It's OK, when I set up my stock solution I got it wrong and I now have to add 10ml of solution to raise the level by 1ppm. I went the other way and underestimated the solubility of KNO3.

For guidance, I estimate about 88 (US) gallons of water in my 100 gallon tank. I could be wrong but it's not going to be that far out.

WK

Nice one ...

I now have it at this:

1litre with 285g in it gives me 0.5ppm

I rated it for 350litres however now it might be under Lol. Thank you. I think im sorted now. Just need to test the theory by doing it :)

Joel

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back