Nitrate filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Water Sprite is the best floating plant, but it is "tender" and thus easily digestible by herbivore fish. I know Mbuna will eat soft plants as they are omnivore, but I am not sure about other rift lake species but other members can advise if you have the species. Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) may survive better, depending upon the fish. Maybe Frogbit too.

Nitrates in the tank are controlled by water changes, keeping the filoter clean, substrate cleaning at water changes, live fast-growing plants, not overstocking/overfeeding. You have zero nitrate in your tap water so that is good. Cichlids are sensitive to nitrate we now know, and it (nitrate) should be kept as low as you can in the circumstances, but definitely below 20 ppm.

Water Sprite is the best floating plant, but it is "tender" and thus easily digestible by herbivore fish. I know Mbuna will eat soft plants as they are omnivore, but I am not sure about other rift lake species but other members can advise if you have the species. Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) may survive better, depending upon the fish. Maybe Frogbit too.

Nitrates in the tank are controlled by water changes, keeping the filoter clean, substrate cleaning at water changes, live fast-growing plants, not overstocking/overfeeding. You have zero nitrate in your tap water so that is good. Cichlids are sensitive to nitrate we now know, and it (nitrate) should be kept as low as you can in the circumstances, but definitely below 20 ppm.

I’ll have a look for some water lettuce too thankyou :)

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and Duckweed.

Buy 6 Water Sprite plants, because that is how they are normally sold, as plants. Do not buy Water Sprite as cuttings or stems.

Duckweed is sold by the handful or cup full. A hand full of that can be placed outside in a pond and just scoop some out to add to the tank. Then if the fish eat it, you can replace it with the stuff growing outside.

Water Lettuce does best in open top aquariums (no lid or coverglass) and it needs really bright light. It's not an easy plant to grow indoors.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and Duckweed.

Buy 6 Water Sprite plants, because that is how they are normally sold, as plants. Do not buy Water Sprite as cuttings or stems.

Duckweed is sold by the handful or cup full. A hand full of that can be placed outside in a pond and just scoop some out to add to the tank. Then if the fish eat it, you can replace it with the stuff growing outside.

Water Lettuce does best in open top aquariums (no lid or coverglass) and it needs really bright light. It's not an easy plant to grow indoors.

I like duckweed I think it looks awesome, but I’ve also heard it can be a pain in the backside lol

Also would it survive in African cichlid tank?

I like duckweed I think it looks awesome, but I’ve also heard it can be a pain in the backside lol

Also would it survive in African cichlid tank?
Depends on what cichlids are in the tank.
If you grow it outdoors and add some to the tank, then the fish can eat it as part of their diet and you can replace it with the stuff from outside.

Depends on what cichlids are in the tank.
If you grow it outdoors and add some to the tank, then the fish can eat it as part of their diet and you can replace it with the stuff from outside.

I don’t have a pond though? Any alternative?

plastic storage container

Fair enough lol, I had a couple plants given for my cichlid tank which I’ll be getting and including in my journal (check it out by the way ;)) including Ludwigia, vsllisneria, and Java fern.

Any other plants you would reccomend?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back