Nipped Fins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I think our Molly has been seriously picked on by her tank mates. Her back tail fin is really short, and her top fin is visibly nipped. It looks like her lip has been torn to. At the moment, she's floating in a tupperware container in the tank- we've fed her, and she's gobbled it up as best she could. I think I know who's done this, but I'm at a loss as to what to do to the fish that's picking on her (and the other fish in the tank). Will the molly be ok?

I'm guessing the culprate is the tetra right. Isoalte the mean one in say a breeders net, maybe give it back to the LFS. Also, check your water. I can't think of anything that would cause so quickly unless its a territorial thing. Try rearranging your tank, that'll ruin any territories.

I can't take the fish back- her warrenty is way up. The molly is in a floating tupperware container right now. The tetras are hard to catch w/o taking everything out.

Well, you could just give it back for no money, like a donation. Other than that theres nothing to do except redecorate the tank and hope it works. Yea, tetras are a pain to catch, but I did it using 2 nets.

I got some Melafix today. I am going to treat the molly seperatly til her fins grow back a little bit, because right now, she's still flopping around.

I did find out what my problem was though- the tetras I *thought* were Pristella tetras weren't. They are Buenos Aires Tetras- known to nip other fishes fins. Great. So far, they are all getting along- they hated me moving stuff around, but they'll deal. I hope rearranging their tank will help with this problem. I'd really hate to get rid of my fish- especially since I can't at least trade them.

By the way- how long do I use the melafix for? How soon will it start to work?

^^Not sure how long it takes, itll just take shorter than normal. Maybe someone else knows.

another fish forum i read up on griped at me about using melafix :S oh well. she seems to be doing better today. she actually chased her food in her cup today, it was cute :thumbs:

another fish forum i read up on griped at me about using melafix :S oh well. she seems to be doing better today. she actually chased her food in her cup today, it was cute :thumbs:

Hang on, if she is in a cup, how do you manage filtration? Something like a breeder net would be better as that would allow interchange with the tank water.

Hope she gets better soon.

Personally, I think it could be a space issue. i.e. I think they need more space. 10 gallons is tad on the small side for those fish in my opinion.

Most definitely for the plec.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back