Night time pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EddieW

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Here's my small shoaling fish tank with all of the night lights on. I think I need to do some urgent pruning.....

Note that all of these pics were taken using loooong exposures - they are not this bright in real life.

Attachments

• shoal_sm.jpg
    shoal_sm.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 58
Same tank with just the red light.

Attachments

• shoal_red_sm.jpg
    shoal_red_sm.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 53
And lastly, my marine with it's night lights on. The greenish dot towards the middle/left of the tank is a small green ricordea which fluoresces nicely under the lights.

Attachments

• marine_sm.jpg
    marine_sm.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 51
Great photography Eddie!!! I love the marine blue!

Wow, thats a real jungle you have there eddieW! :thumbs: :D

FreshMike - thanks!

NeilP - these are using the Miracle Beam LED modules. However it works out quite expensive compared to a product I found on Maplin - blue LED underwater lighting unit.

The Miracle Beam is about £25 - £30 for the control unit, power supply and two LEDs (usually one blue and one green). Additional LED units are about £8 - £10 each.

The set I found on Maplin is about £15 for the control unit, power supply and five blue LEDs - I don;t know how good it is but I have just ordered one so I will be able to let you know. The blue set is only available while stocks last as it has been replaced with a multi-coloured set.

Eelzor - I did a load of clearing out at the weekend and removed a ton to plants. I'll get some new pics at the weekend.

Cheers, Eddie

Neil,

The lights from Maplin finally arrived today - only took a month to get here due to getting lost in the post and then poor customer service.

Having said that they are very good, exactly the same style and quality as the MiracleBeam units but less than 1/3 of the price. They still seem to have some in stock so I might order up another one as a spare - if it takes a month this time I will be less worried.

Cheers, Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

Off to surf the maplin site....

I've tried a couple of other things in the meantime:-

Marine Blue 15w 18" in my larger tank - too bright, so I've tried covering half with paper to dull it down a bit - still quite light, but the fish seem to slow right down, and chill like the do when it's dark .....

8w (smaller bub, can't remember what size), not a blue light though (lfs didn't have any) in the 10gall with the BGKF - way too bright even when half covered with paper, and the other half covered in a cut up blue plastic bag (Blue Peter eat your heart out!! :lol: )

Looks as though the LED's are going to be the best bet.

I'll post some pics when its done - look forwards to seeing some of your ones soon.

Cheers

Neil.

Eddie,

Thanks for the tip off.

I ordered a set from Maplin on Thursday which arrived this morning.

Tank now looks amazing at night.

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Back