Nice Centrepiece Fish For A 200l?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sadguppy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently got hold of a new 240l and moved some of my fish including my cardinal tetras, rainbows and my big angel into there (I will update my tank journal with my new stocking soon!). I have basically got it exactly how I want it and I am so pleased!

However, now my 200l tank is now lacking something. There is a lot of activity but it seems to be shoals of grey-coloured fish and it needs something to attract and focus the attention. I don't want to get more of the same, and there is already a dwarf gourami in the 240. Is there a different type of gourami i could get that is peaceful? Or something else which is fine as a singleton and will stand out against the grey fish?

Sorry should have been more specific - I want a mid-top water open swimmer, I am already pleco-d up!

Gold, Opaline, Pearl or Thicklipped Gouramis?

A pair of laid back cichlids? Like Blue, Gold or Bolivian Rams? Laetacara curviceps? etc...

Empire Gudgeon?

Hmm... Peacock Gobies?

Liking the look of the pearl gourami, and all the info i can find suggests they would be a good choice but is there anything i should know about them before jumping n?

Depending upon the existing fish and the decor, Leopard Bushfish can make wonderful midwater centrepiece fish, reaching ~14cm over a number of years (my 20p coin size babies from summer 2010 are ~9cm). You could have one as a singleton, but you could also add a group of 3-5 simultaniously, a singleton that has been returned to a fish store of is being sold privately would do better if it is >5cm (when young they are very nervous and school, as they get older they get braver).

Long term, tankmates need to have a bigger girth than your middle finger or be longer than ~8cm, to avoid the possibility of them being live lunch.

Tankmates must not be zippy fish or pig eaters, either will spook these shy bushfish.

The tank should have areas of gentle flow where they can escape strong currents (sometime they will current surf), but the crutial thing is to have a densely furnished layout with lots of bogwood tunnels/caves and some broad leaved plants if you have green fingers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back