newby

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hanne

Reaction score
hi everyone,

just a month ago, we got ourselves a tropical fish tank. i've been doing a lot of reading already, and a week ago, i brought home some zebra danio's (6) from my work. my water parameters are fine and i think we're ready to get some more fish. i'm wondering what are the best fish to put together. i want to keep it quite easy for now and i'm thinking of getting some guppy's or platy's. can you tell me other fish that would form a nice community to watch?

Hanne

Welcome, Hanne! This is a great place, and you'll get loads of info here.

I'd add some cories to have some activity on the bottom of the tank, and platties and guppies both are great fun and are live bearers. I would caution that you not add too many fish too soon, depending on how you cycled your tank.

Have fun! :)

:hi: to the forum.:D

Where do you work?

How big is your tank? Are you going to be breeding fish other than livebearers? Is there a theme you're going for?

It's nice to see you're doing research before buying on impulse. Spend time here and you'll get lots of info and help. :nod:

Join our school.
:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

Hi there Hanne! Zebra danios are a hardy fish- you made an excellent choice :thumbs:

Is your tank still cycling?

:hi: to the forums! :)

I myself am a huge corydora fan,and I also take a fancy to my mollies and swordtails. They make a great community. :)

hi,

my tank is cycling for 4 and 1/2 weeks now. I've used a biostarter and now in the last week i added the zebra danios. the parameter-values are still stable: ammonia 0.0 mg/l, nitrite 0.04 mg/l, hardness 12°dH (we have very hard tapwater) and pH 7.89. Today I'm measuring the parameters again, I'm working in an aquatic lab (but it's my last week, then I'm leaving for another job). I'll post my values this afternoon, so you can give me some more advice.
I'd like to have some fish with some eye-drawing colors (like guppies). I'm not really interested in breeding (if it happens, it happens), right now i just want to build up a nice community with fish that don't eat each other ;) .

>>> (like guppies)

... and...

>>> (if it happens, it happens)

... it'll happen, it'll happen! :nod:

Welcome.

It'll happen, but the fish might get eaten. :lol:

You'll find a wide variety of colors and patterns in guppies. You'll have a heck of a hard time figuring out what you want. Good luck. :D

(By the way, the livebearer section is a good place to start for gathering info on guppies. :nod:)

Hi Hanne :)

Welcome to the forum. :flowers:

If you start a thread in the Beginners forum, it will be seen by many more members and you'll probably get more help. I'll be looking forward to seeing your posts. :D

How big is your tank? If you like guppies (they are beautiful fish) than go right on ahead and get them :). You may want to look at gouramis while you are there too, there are a lot of different kinds and most are not aggressive! HTH :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back