Craig

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Craig from South Wales. I've just bought my first aquarium and fish, mostly because my 4 year old son wanted a pet, and he was fascinated by the fish in the pet shop.

However, I'm now just as fascinated as he is, so I thought I'd take a look around the web and find out how to look after them properly.

We have some White Cloud Monutain Minnows, some Guppys (not sure which type) and some Tetras.

Hi Craig,

...and welcome to the best tropical fish forum on the web! :)

It's good that you and your son have become interested in Tropical Fish as they are indeed fascinating! :D

It is, however, a pity you did not find us sooner... You would have been better setting the tank up and getting it ready for the fish before you actually add them.

The water has chemicals that build up when it is first established (Ammonia, Nitrite then Nitrate) each is toxic to fish. Though Ammonia is the worst followed by Nitrite.

Ammonia builds up in the tank, then the level drops. Nitrite then builds up in the tank, then that level drops. Then Nitrate levels build up too. Then they drop. Then you are supposed to add the fish.

This means that the levels of these chemicals will be building up whilst the fish are in the tank. Because of this you may well suffer fish loss and/or disease in the tank.

Whatever you do, please don't add any more fish!

If you have a look around the forum and read previous posts you will soon pick things up though. :)

Hi Craig,
Welcome to the forum. You have made the mistake nearly all newcomers to fishkeeping make. As Feargal says usually the build up takes 2 to 3 weeks. If after this time you have lost no fish at all count yourself extremely lucky. If however you are like many of us who started off back in the  midst of time, you will lose some if not all your fish. Whatever you do is not to let it dishearten you. Just accept it as an expensive mistake. I am surprised that your local fish shop(lfs) did not advise you or ask you any questions before selling you a new setup.
Anyway welcome and I'm sure as time goes by you will have a lot more questions. We have an international gathering on this forum and someone is bound to have an answer for you. Maybe not the one you want to hear but an answer nevertheless.
I like Wales, lovely part of the country,despite what Anne Robinson says. We've stayed in various parts of Wales for our summer holidays.

HiYa Craig, and welcome

Hope you enjoy the hobby,

Chances are that befoe long you'll want more or bigger tank :laugh:

Cheers guys, I won't be returning to the same shop again. I suppose the mistake is my own fault as I should have spent some time reading about fish keeping before buying anything.

I am encouraged by what I have now read on this and other web sites however, and Amazon.com are on the case with some books already on their way to my door.

Hi Craig, Welcome to the fourm. My the big wig of the place, so If theres something youd like to see around the site just say.
If you've any questions just ask. Plus If you know any good jokes please tell them the rest are drying up :laugh:

Whadda mean the jokes are drying up....I just added a whole bunch of new ones on last night.

A joke,

Man, Woman, Sleeping Compartment

A man and a woman who have never met before find themselves in the same sleeping carriage of a train.
After the initial embarrassment they both go to sleep, the woman on the top bunk, the man on the lower.

In the middle of the night the woman leans over, wakes the man and says, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm awfully
cold and I was wondering if you could possibly get me another blanket."

The man leans out and, with a glint in his eye, says,
"I've got a better idea... just for tonight, let's pretend we're married."

The woman thinks for a moment. "Why not," she giggles.
"Great," he replies, "Get your own damn blanket!"

Hi Craig and welcome to the best fish forum on the net

Hope you enjoy your stay :D

Hi Craig. With jokes like that. it looks like you'll fit in here just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back