Newbie With Question!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

R_Trez

Reaction score
Hi all, i've just recently bought myself a 90 litre tank, re-starting an old hobby from when i was a teenager, i have run into a problem already and wondered if anyone could help. I set the tank up 2 weeks ago and used the water treatments and such, then added a few fish after a week. They were fine up untill today, i've had 5 drop down dead in the 12 hrs ive been at work. Also the survivors are swimming right at the top of the tank. One of the guppys was rubbing itself on the gravel about 3 days ago so i got some white spot treatment as i was told thats what it was, maybe thats whats killing my fish off! Any help would be appreciated, Cheers :)

Hi all, i've just recently bought myself a 90 litre tank, re-starting an old hobby from when i was a teenager, i have run into a problem already and wondered if anyone could help. I set the tank up 2 weeks ago and used the water treatments and such, then added a few fish after a week. They were fine up untill today, i've had 5 drop down dead in the 12 hrs ive been at work. Also the survivors are swimming right at the top of the tank. One of the guppys was rubbing itself on the gravel about 3 days ago so i got some white spot treatment as i was told thats what it was, maybe thats whats killing my fish off! Any help would be appreciated, Cheers :)

you should check the ammonia levels, it doesn't sound like you cycled the tank first

Hi there, sorry to hear about your losses, can I ask a couple of questions, please dont take them the wrong way

1. Did you cycle the tank? Do you know what the cycling of a tank is

2. Did you check ammonia and nitrite readings before adding fish

3. What is the pH of the tank

It sounds more like a failed or incomplete cycle than whitespot

Steve :)

Thanks for the replys, and no i don't know what cycling the tank is :( I never used to check any PH or nitrate levels or anything when i kept fish years ago so i havent been doing that, maybe i should get myself down to the shop and get some testing kits. Well there is some good news, the rest of the fish seem fine and happy at the mo, oh and one of the guppys decided to give birth, but by the time i could buy a breeding trap there were only 2 survivors, but they seem fine this morning to :) Thanks again for ya help!

How many fish did you add in the first week?

Its best to leave the tank a few week while doing a fishles cycle then add may be one or two after that, leave again for about a week befor adding a couple more. Its best to build up your collection slowly over the space of about 3 months.

Well i started off with 5 guppys and a plec after a week, they all seemed fine so impatient as i am i went out 2 days later and bought 3 angels, 6 neon tetras and 2 more plecs. Probably a mistake, they were ok for a few days until i caught one rubbing against the gravel. That was just before a few died, they have been ok since though so hopefully they'll stay ok. Think ill leave it a few weeks before i think about buying any more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back