Newbie with a Jewel 125

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lbmuk

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been attempting to keep tropical fish for about 3 years now.
I have a jewel 125 with internal filter system. Currently have mollies, tetra, guppies a bristle nose plec and two female betas with a collection of live plants. Been suffering with Black Beard Algea for a while.

Iā€™m looking to give my tank a complete fresh start. Removal the internal filter and replace with external then try and have a better aqua scape.

Iā€™ve brought an external filter with uv lamp integrated and a flow rate of 1400l/h. Iā€™ve installed it with a spray bar to enable both filters to run for a while to transfer the bacteria over but Iā€™m worried the flow is to much for the tank / fish? Have I got a pump which is too high flow rate? Is there anything I can do / should do to slow the flow down slightly?

Attachments

• 769FFED8-2946-4FDD-8647-2DFBD6BE9317.jpeg
    769FFED8-2946-4FDD-8647-2DFBD6BE9317.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 37
Hi there, we're you doing regular water changes? I have two tanks, a 240ltr and a 75 ltr. The smaller one I have to do a weekly 10% water change to keep down on algae. The larger tank has no algae trouble, and in that one I use a fluval External Filter (307), which includes phosphate remover sponge. The 307 is prob too big for a 125ltr tank but they do smaller variants.

Hi all, I have been attempting to keep tropical fish for about 3 years now.
I have a jewel 125 with internal filter system. Currently have mollies, tetra, guppies a bristle nose plec and two female betas with a collection of live plants. Been suffering with Black Beard Algea for a while.

Iā€™m looking to give my tank a complete fresh start. Removal the internal filter and replace with external then try and have a better aqua scape.

Iā€™ve brought an external filter with uv lamp integrated and a flow rate of 1400l/h. Iā€™ve installed it with a spray bar to enable both filters to run for a while to transfer the bacteria over but Iā€™m worried the flow is to much for the tank / fish? Have I got a pump which is too high flow rate? Is there anything I can do / should do to slow the flow down slightly?
you can lower the flow by adding more fine filter media like filter floss. The uv should kill algae, but even so, if you're gonna aquascape it then an internal filter will work great as long as you got a lot of plants. but you've already invested in an external which is great! Maybe try adding co2 to the aquarium (diy if you're on a budget) and that kills BBA like a charm. Also using liquid carbon or dipping objects covered in BBA in hydrogen peroxide will work like a charm. Siamese Algae Eaters also eat BBA, the one fish that does. But they don't really make an impact on the BBA until they get big.
Floating plants can also lower the flow a little if you're concerned about the surface movement. Adding plants in front of the outflow will help too!
Looking forward to see the aquascape or however you redo it. A fresh start is always exciting.
Good luck!

Hi there, we're you doing regular water changes? I have two tanks, a 240ltr and a 75 ltr. The smaller one I have to do a weekly 10% water change to keep down on algae. The larger tank has no algae trouble, and in that one I use a fluval External Filter (307), which includes phosphate remover sponge. The 307 is prob too big for a 125ltr tank but they do smaller variants.
If you're happy with the 307 then you have no problems. You can't over filter your tank, to much is better than not enough. The 307 is a good filter. Put some fine filter floss in the top rack also some purigen on top of that this will polish your water good luck pal

Hi and welcome aboard... :hi:
Hopefully, the UV-filter will put the algae down soon...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back