Newbie with a 20 gallon, q about RB

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sdadlani

Reaction score
I have been offered some small baby RBP for a very decent price. Is this a good idea? please help me out.

sdad,

I moved your post here from the "Newbie" forum. Should get a better response.

I assume when you say rbp you are refering to red bellie piranha's correct??? If so several things depend on whether or not it's a good idea.

1. What size are they right now?
2. Will they be going into a bigger tank as they grow?
3. Do you have anything against feeding live feeders to them?

Red bellies are indeed cool fish. I have had them in the past, and YES I fed them feeders. Minnows to be exact.

RB's will grow to around 8" or so and contrary to some reports are one of the less aggressive of the piranha family....if kept well fed!!

CM

Cichlidmaster.....

Dunno why, but from RBP, my mind went to Red Blood Parrot? :unsure:

Sdadlani, any advances or Piranhas or Parrots ?? :D

You could be right as well FS!!!

I don't like hybrids so my mind didn't even go there. Guess we'll just have to wait until sdad gets back to us!!

CM

I was taking about piranha... They are i think about an inch, or almost an inch right now. They will be going in a larger tank when I get the money, and I'm new, so If i enjoy the hobby I'll get the bigger tank, if not, then I might just sell them. How much is a good price to pay? My freinds freind freind has the hook up, he was saying somthing like 20 a fish. Get back to me guys! And no I don't have anything against feeding them live fish, infact I heard your supposed to have a wide variety of food for them.

yup-yup!

Sdas,

You don't list where your from, but here in Michigan (USA) I can get RBP at 1" for around $5.00 each!!

CM

CM is correct. I have paid as little as 3/10.00.

They are also a very shy fish. They like to have hidey holes also. Well fed, they can grow an inch a month for the few months.

Also a good idea to have a couple of good bottom feeders/scavengers as RBP are VEERRRY messy eaters!!!

Introduce them to the tank before the RBPs. They won't be considered unwelcome guests, and will be more tolerated by the RBP

They are fascinating fish, and the lighting preferences are minimal, so don't have visions of a planted tank. Extra substrate is appreciated by them as they like to dig and wallow on the bottom.

Yeah, well in my area they are very very very very rare, as they are not prohibited to keep. So all the local fish stores don't sell them. What are some good bottom feeders?

there are two stores that have piranah here in kelowna...thats where i live its by vancouver canada.
anyways pirana here are 35-45 dollars a piece.......WOW :blink:

I have also heard somthing about putting the Ps in a group of three, and not two. How do i tell if they are sick or anything? I'll be buying them off a freind, not a lfs, so If somthing goes bad, then its alll bad! What are some things I should look for? and what filter should I get, as well as heater.. thanks guys!

sdadlani said:
Yeah, well in my area they are very very very very rare, as they are not prohibited to keep. So all the local fish stores don't sell them.
Maybe I am missing something here, but if their NOT prohibited to keep, then why are they rare??????

Their not prohibited to keep in Michigan either, that's why their so cheap!!

Also (and again I may be wrong), but by the tone of your post you seem to have taken exception to the fact that GL and myself stated we could get them dirt cheap here!!

If that's the case then sorry, but you did ask!! I also stated in my first reply that I did not know where your from.

RB's are best kept in schools or schoals!! The more the better. I know people who keep them in large groups with minimal or no problems at all.

As far as bottom feeders go, the only thing I could recommend would be a pleco.

Steve-O...$35-45.00 dollars each!!! Is this for adults?????

CM

Larry, looks like we need to make a trip to Vancouver.. :D

SD. The more the merrier. And as you upgrade tank size, go with a long tank versus tall. RBP will make more use of swimming distance than height.

Might as well get a canister filter as soon as you can. And a good gravel vac.

Leave a smaller tank setup when you upgrade. You will be able to stock/breed feeders in it.

As far as how many. A mature piranah sould have 15-20 gallons of water minimum. Say five RBP in a 110 gallon tank.

The beauty here is you can go to a 55 gallon, then when you upgrade to say a 110 gallon, the 55 will fit under it if you make your own stand.. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back