The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish4jobs

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
It's been 6 weeks since ciano 30 (25L) was setup, 2 goldfish entered the tank but in the last week or so one of them has a white fluffy area where the tail used to be and the other one seems to be losing its skin from the tail end covering 1/4 of the body.  Unaware and negligent on my part we bought 2 small common goldfish and the above is the result after 5 or so weeks, in a panic I went out and bought a host of products then calmly realised that I should get advice before dropping allsorts in.

I've attached pictures of the poor souls and of the products I bought.

I have spoken to a friend of mine who has a 600L tank and will be ready in a few weeks time and will happily take the goldfish if they are healthy, he again is a sort of newbie to this hobby.  Need to nurse them both back to health.

All help appreciated and apologies if I have caused offence due to my carelessness.

HmuZVq5.jpg

AqhppAP.jpg

9O4NNSQ.jpg

Yf6cCKH.jpg

4Z6XgNl.jpg

YgsGdzC.jpg

hjy7T7M.jpg

ermrNEr.jpg

What are your water stats right now? You'll need a test kit. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings would be helpful. A lot of us use the API master test kit.
Did you do a nitrogen cycle or just let the water run for 6 weeks? Thanks

Picking up an all in one 5 test kit today hopefully I will have some data to put up very soon, in the mean time I'm thinking of taking the goldfish out and placing in a plastic see through tub probably holds 20 litres, or should I place them in separate tubs and then medicate. Whats the chances of survival with the problems they currently have visually?

I think I left the fish out of the tank for 24/36 hrs before popping them in.

Thanks

They must be suffering terribly.
They still seem lively but instead of gliding across the tank to the food they now waddle, I hope I can get them better..

Thanks

i would put them in a different tank then put melafix in as that seem to be helping out alot more than any other products ive used. My first batch of fish had finrot, used melafix, fixed in what seems like only 30minutes. But i would keep an eye on them every so often within the other tank

Please note.melafix will not cure fin rot in 30 mins.

i know that, but the time span in what it took(give or take) seemed only like 30 minutes. note mine was not as bad as yours as mine had 1/2 of their dorsal fins gone  

I honestly don't think it's likely these fish are going to make it
confused.gif

OP; I'm afraid your tank is far too small for anything except very small tropical fish or shrimps. Goldfish grow big and are messy, and so need big tanks with good filtration. The smallest size tank for goldfish would be 100l, and that's for fancy goldfish, like fantails or orandas. Yours are what we call common goldfish, and they should really be kept only in ponds, as they can grow to a foot long.

If you can get them into a larger body of water; even a storage box would do, that would give them the best chance. You'll need to change half the water every day as well, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Someone decided to clean the tank with fairy liquid and the stones , luckily I walked in before the fish were added. Both of them are in a see through 10 litre tub, they've only been in for 4 hours and the fluffy tail has decreased in size on one of them, When I get time in the evening tomorrow I'm cleaning the tank again with plain water and cleaning the gravel thoroughly, I've been back to the pet store and bought some additional items Tetra test 6 in 1, King British disease clear and the items I bought previously King British Fin rot and fungus control, King British De-chlorinator and spate bottle of KB filter aid+

In what order should I start in the small container to clear the issues wit the fish, should I use fin rot and disease clear together in the small tub theyre in or clean the current tank and check levels and add the medication and the fish...
confused.gif

OP; I'm afraid your tank is far too small for anything except very small tropical fish or shrimps. Goldfish grow big and are messy, and so need big tanks with good filtration. The smallest size tank for goldfish would be 100l, and that's for fancy goldfish, like fantails or orandas. Yours are what we call common goldfish, and they should really be kept only in ponds, as they can grow to a foot long.

If you can get them into a larger body of water; even a storage box would do, that would give them the best chance. You'll need to change half the water every day as well, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
They survived out of a fish bowl for god knows how many hours, little girl went into the kitchen in the morning and found both fish on the kitchen floor lifeless, god only knows how long they spent out of water, put them back in and nothing waited 10 minutes and nothing, then a scream from the kitchen 20 minutes later the fish are alive. What should I add first the medication then check the water or check first if all good then add medication then fish.

Thanks

check the water, then add the meds. better to make sure the water is fine before adding any more chemicals to it

As your tank is small, and not cycled (does it have a filter?), you'll need to change all the water, every day to keep it clean, and then add the medication. Use one that's for fungus or body rot, and nothing else, except for dechlorinator in any new water.

If you can get them into a more appropriately sized container (60 or 100l; this still won't be big enough for them in the long term, if they survive) they stand a better chance.
As your tank is small, and not cycled (does it have a filter?), you'll need to change all the water, every day to keep it clean, and then and the medication. Use one that's for fungus or body rot, and nothing else, except for dechlorinator in any new water.

If you can get them into a more appropriately sized container (60 or 100l; this still won't be big enough for them in the long term, if they survive) they stand a better chance.

fish4jobs said:
confused.gif

They survived out of a fish bowl for god knows how many hours, little girl went into the kitchen in the morning and found both fish on the kitchen floor lifeless, god only knows how long they spent out of water, put them back in and nothing waited 10 minutes and nothing, then a scream from the kitchen 20 minutes later the fish are alive. What should I add first the medication then check the water or check first if all good then add medication then fish.

Thanks
A lung cancer sufferer might survive a car crash, but the cancer will still get them in the end.

Goldfish are tough old things, but I've never seen one come back from a situation as bad as this. Once fin rot/fungus has reached, and started to affect the main body of the fish, and not just the fins, there's very little hope and, even if the fish survives, the fins will not grow back and the fish's quality of life would be exceptionally poor. Personally I'd be considering euthanasia, tbh. As Frank said up thread, they must be suffering terribly.

As your tank is small, and not cycled (does it have a filter?), you'll need to change all the water, every day to keep it clean, and then add the medication. Use one that's for fungus or body rot, and nothing else, except for dechlorinator in any new water.

As your tank is small, and not cycled (does it have a filter?), you'll need to change all the water, every day to keep it clean, and then and the medication. Use one that's for fungus or body rot, and nothing else, except for dechlorinator in any new water.

The tank I have is the Aqua 30 Ciano Aquarium (25L) has a bright led light and a internal CF40 ciano filter it has the carbon activated foam filter and currently has the Ciano water clear cartridge fitted within the filter, 200 L/H 10L - 40L,
there is also a biological cartridge and a stop algae one. Only two cartridges can be fitted to the filter at once including the foam filter at the bottom. I'm about to clean the tank properly this time and DE chlorinate the water 1ml to every 9 litres, should I also add the King British Filter aid+ and the fungus fin rot at the same time and run the tank with the filter on for 24 hours before adding the fish and will I need to remove up to 50% of the water every day to keep the tank clean. I will post the water results after 24 hors of cleaning and adding the medication and DE chlorinator.

Thanks

Oh my. :/ That looks awful...

What could the issue here, exactly? It looks like the fish is just rotting alive... Over what period of time has this been occurring? 
I'm wondering if the fish had any damage to his tail fin to begin with, and left untreated, it just began to rot and deteriorate. Or it's just  fungus spreading throughout the body but what's up with the skin?? This is beyond me, I feel sorry for those fish.

RainboWBacoN420 said:
Oh my.
confused.gif
That looks awful...

What could the issue here, exactly? It looks like the fish is just rotting alive... Over what period of time has this been occurring? 
I'm wondering if the fish had any damage to his tail fin to begin with, and left untreated, it just began to rot and deteriorate. Or it's just  fungus spreading throughout the body but what's up with the skin?? This is beyond me, I feel sorry for those fish.
Not quite sure as to what these poor fish have got but I'm hoping to get them back in the tank by tomorrow evening after adding the medication, hoping that by the weekend I can see some improvement otherwise it's game over..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back