Newbie - My Flying Fox is going NUTS !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Davey Boy

Reaction score
Got my first ever fish today, after cycling my tank for several weeks !

5 Neon tetras who seem very happy and 1 flying fox who's acting like he's had too much coffee !

I hope he's happy...is it normal for these to be so active ?

I expected all the fish to be a bit dozy until they were acclimatised but they look right at home.

I think the breed is a bit active, but even if it isn't each fish is different. Look for signs of health or sickness and watch for any changes. If there are none then you are fine. Side note What size tank?

Hi,

It's a 40 litre tank.

Interesting develoment today. One of the tetra's is spending time away from the other 4 and then being a bit aggressive when it approaches them.

It is a male ? or just being grumpy ? or both ?

The other 4 seem happy playing in the "jetstream" from the filter.

The flying fox is slighlty less energetic than yesterday but still manic all the same !

Davey

The guy at the store advised just 1 flying fox at this stage so I've gone with his advice as I'm a newbie.

I would like more though as they're very compelling !

I don't think the tank is is too bare ?, its got 2 big rocks, 1 piece of bogwood, 4 live plants and several plastic ones plus a shipwreck !

he said I could have up to 20 neons eventually, I'd prefer to have a wider range as it's a community tank though.

Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm on a budget so don't go OTT !!

Thanks

Davey

The guys at the LFS may not be right. I know that some advice is not always good advice but, any book that I have read on stocking a new aquarium always says at least 3 Flying Foxes. Expecially with a 40 gallon tank.

As for other suggestions Neons like a PH of between 6.2 and 6.8 so try to find other fish that like the same PH range.

Was adding your fish a step in the cycling of your tank? If so your LFS gave you good advice on not adding to many fish to soon. But if the cycling is over then you need to make sure you are doing what is healthy for the fish. I looked up flying fox in my books and yes it would be happier in a shoal of 3. Will it survive as an only yes it just may never reach its potential. However if your tank is to small to handle 3 then you may need to rethink the Flying fox. I know you said 40 liter but I am not a maths whiz so I don't know in gallons or surface area so I can't help on that.

Flying foxes probably don't have enough room.

I agree. Flying Foxes are generally energetic fish that need some space. I don't really know what to say about keeping one versus a shoal. I've read credible essays that supported each of the ideas. Some say it's a solo fish which turns aggressive to its own kind as it matures, and others say no such thing.

Also, be aware that there are several species of fish - including the Flying Fox, Siamensis Algae Eater, False Siamensis, Chinese Algae Eater (and all it's mistaken identities), and others - which look very similar to each other and are often mistaken for each other. Fish are commonly sold as "Flying Fox" which aren't. I've seen firsthand just about all these fishes mistakenly sold in local shops as Siamensis Algae Eaters (which are almost certainly the most popular and desirable of all the lookalike fish). So unless you're good at identifying them yourself, you can't always assume it is a Flying Fox just because that's what the LFS called it. The behavior of these lookalike fishes can be very different, so you don't always know to expect if you aren't sure it's identified properly. I suspect this is a large reason why people often give contradicting advice on these species. People often think they're talking about the same kind of fish but actually aren't.

Here is a good spot for more info.

pendragon!

Most reactions

trending

Back