Newbie here, needing words of wisdom!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How were you able to cycle the tank in a week? Did you add filter media from an established tank or something? In my experience, Neon tetras tend to be weaker because they are so overbred. It could be that if there was a problem, they would be less resilient. You could also have got a bad batch I suppose. But it's also possible there is a problem. We might be able to help more if you told us what testing kit exactly you used and what exactly were the readings.
I did. I used the filter media and actually used some of the water from the 2-10 gallon tanks the Platys were in. The Platys are doing great.. its the Neon tetras and Day-glo tetras that have now all died. The Day Glo's brought Ick to my tank. Which I never had a problem with. The neon's died within 24 hours. The Day Glo's lasted almost 2 weeks. Ick medicine didn't help I guess. I just want some pretty schooling fish that will get along with the Platys. Thanks for responding.

Exactly what are your great water parameters?
Not sure what you mean by "great water Parameters"? I had the water tested by 2 Petsmarts, and a friend who has 2-50 gallon, gorgeous tanks, used his PROFESSIONAL test kit. I stated I was NEW at this and needed some guidance. Your question is a bit off putting. As it can be taken a few ways. Perhaps you can clarify?

If PetsMart tested your water and felt it was fine then it was. The simple tests are something that anyone can do and not goof up. Ich is always going to be a problem with new fish from PetsMart because of their central filtration system but you can work around that by really looking over the fish before you buy them. Pass on the scrawny thin ones and look for nice plump ones with erect fins and the ones that are lively. Pass on the slow droopy ones. If you want a nice schooling fish that's pretty look at the Glowlight Tetras or the Rummynose Tetras, PetsMart almost always has those and they're a little tougher than Neons. Buy a few more than you want because some will die. That's just the way it goes unfortunately.

Not sure what you mean by "great water Parameters"?
This is a question we usually ask when a member says their parameters are 'good' or 'fine' or 'great' because we have no idea if they really are 'great' without numbers. And many stores say they are 'good' when they are not good.

To give you an idea, 'great' parameters (strictly speaking these are conditions not parameters) would be -
ammonia zero
nitrite zero
nitrate under 20 ppm, and as near zero as possible.

Other parameters depend on the fish in the tank.
Soft water fish - pH under 7.0, GH under 10 dH (180 ppm)
Hard water fish - pH at or above 7.0, GH over 10 dH (180 ppm) with some needing over 15 dH (270 ppm).
Your tetras are soft water fish and the platies are hard water fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back