Newbie: Good hardy fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

roger2003

Reaction score
HI All,

Really enjoying this forum. I am new to all this and have a planted 160L tank running for 1 week, i want to do a "with fish" cycle but obviously want to minimiae the stress on any fish. I would like to kepp Guppies, Platys and maybe Mollies in the long run. I have heard that Zebra Danios and Palatys are Hardy fish, which would you recommend to kick off the cycle and how many? Also what would be the ideal temp. for the stater fish keeping in mind the type I want to keep in the long run.

Kh 6
GH 10
PH 7.5

External Filter, heater, two lights etc.

Many Thanks.

R

I think if I'm not mistaken platys and mollies are considered pretty good fish to do a cycle with (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!). And then you won't have to rehome your cycling fish because those are the ones you want anyway, everyone wins :cool:

If you're going to do a cycle with fish, I'd suggest using zebra danios. They are pretty hardy, and messy, so they get things going faster than some others. However, I would still suggest looking into a fishless cycle, that way no fish have to suffer.

I'd probably start with some type of cheap/er fish such as White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I had started my cycling first though, then added the fishes later, and through all this time, two of my original White Clouds are still with me.

Good luck. :)

If you're new to the hobby I assume this is your first tank? If you take julie's advice and do a fishless cycle instead maybe you have a friend with some gravel you could poach from an already cycled tank? Just put some into a stocking or bit of netting and let it sit in their for a while with the filter running etc.

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to get some mature filter media or substrate so I will either have to do the with or without method, I did add some of the "cycle" product but I have read some conflicting reports on it. Seems to be very hard to get ammonia here in Ireland, certainly not on sale in the general stores.

If I was go with the Danios what would be a good number to start with?

would a Temp of 22C suffice?

Thanks

R.

I'd use guppies or pineapple swordtails. in my tank the pineapples are pretty strong survivors. when my heater blew up and dropped to 61 degrees they were fine but all the others died like flies.

roger2003 said:
Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to get some mature filter media or substrate so I will either have to do the with or without method, I did add some of the "cycle" product but I have read some conflicting reports on it. Seems to be very hard to get ammonia here in Ireland, certainly not on sale in the general stores.

If I was go with the Danios what would be a good number to start with?

would a Temp of 22C suffice?

Thanks

R.
The recommended stocking level for cycling with fish is one fish per 5 gals. 24 would be a bit better :)

I like to use Black Widow Tetra!
You could shove em in freezing cold tap water and they'd still spit water in your face! (Dont try this please!)
They are nice fish to keep as well, aggressive feaders but but friendly to tank mates!

I'd have to agree with the black widows. they are tough as nail usually, I wouldn't be suprised if they could live in engine oil (ok maybe not) some live bearers might be a good option also as they are cheap and fairly hardy.

i agree with black widows, also danios or platys.

depending what you want in the future either of those three will be fine. only one for every 5 gallons to cycle with.

gixer said:

depending what you want in the future either of those three will be fine. only one for every 5 gallons to cycle with.
for real? i have this video that says inch of fish per gallon w/o including the tail. :dunno: :flex:

;)

Thank you all for the advice. I purchased 3 Zebra Danios today, seem happy so far and after 5 hours they took the small bit of food we gave them. Reckon we'll keep them a bit hungry until tomorrow!

This is a fantastic Hobby, purely addictive. MY two young daughters are really enjoying all excitiment, with buying the tank and doing the research, allthough my two year old declared she "likes dead fish because they don't swim"...........

Regards

R.

Xavier said:
gixer said:

for real? i have this video that says inch of fish per gallon w/o including the tail. :dunno: :flex:
we are purely talking for cycling.....after cycled you can stock at that level ( maybe more)...but that should be built up gradually over time

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back