Newbie, First Tank, Need Advice:-)

gtigaz

Reaction score
hello im new to the world of fish so thought id join a forum as this is were the experts are lol, my name is gaz and im from wigan near Manchester in England, ive been given a tank about a year ago but haven't had time to set it up. it was my parents that had marine fish in it but im wanting tropical as ive heard they are easier to keep etc so how do i get started do i need to clean everything out with some sort of cleaner , ive scrubbed the tank its self but not sure if or how i clean the pump etc although i have been told its as simple as scrubbing the tank putting in a base like sand or stone then filling with tap water, then leave for a few weeks with everything working and get a water test, but would the pump not still have salt in it? any help and advice would be very much appreciated :)

gaz

thanks very much will have a look now, hopefully get it with some water in today :)

welcomeani.gif
Ā to the forum, Gaz!
Whatever you do, don't use any kind of detergent in the tank unless you are prepared to do loads and loads and loadsĀ of rinses. Any residual detergent would seriosly compromise the growth of beneficial bacteria in the filter system.
The Beginners Resource article is the best place to start as Sam said.

Tropical fish keeping is loads easier than marine but there's still more to it than you think at first! Read theĀ beginnersĀ resource centre which Sam has linked you to and you're off to a great start :)
Ā 
It's great to see that you're not just jumping in to things and are actually looking for help before starting. You should look at cycling in the most detail as that is the most important part of starting up and what most new people don't do for one reason or another. You should also get your hands on a decent test kit and some dechlorinator as just putting water straight from the tap into your tank could be harmful to fish and your bacteria due to all the things they add when treating the water.
Ā 
Also. remember never to use soap when cleaning things that are going in to your tank!

ok thanks will do Il let ya know how i go on:) just quick one, i got some stuff from the fish shop that they advised for cleaning called supa tonic salts with it going from marine to tropical, would this be ok for cleaning unwanted bacteria that has developed since the tank was emptied about a year ago?

thanks again
gaz

Have no experience of it to be honest but when I googled it - says it's good as mild antiseptic andĀ for treating Ich at stronger dosing etc. If you are fishless cycling the temp should be about 29Ā° which would also treat Ich. Chances of there being anything left alive after a year are slim unless it's been left wet.
Not sure how the salts would affect the cycling process - maybe someone else can help there.

If it was my setup, I'd just clean the tank with water and vinegar, then fill it up, install the filter(s) and let it run for a couple days to clear out whatever is lurking in the filter. Empty the tank, scrub the filter just with water and brushes, then fill it up again and start your fishless cycle.

This Old Spouse said:
If it was my setup, I'd just clean the tank with water and vinegar, then fill it up, install the filter(s) and let it run for a couple days to clear out whatever is lurking in the filter. Empty the tank, scrub the filter just with water and brushes, then fill it up again and start your fishless cycle.
Have heard that vinegar can disturb the seal, tho I don't know how true it is.

Mamashack said:
It probably could do but if you're only cleaning the tank with vinegar which has already been watered down, it's going to be pretty diluted by the time it gets to the filter. I don't think there would be anything to worry about. Loads of people use vinegar for cleaning :)

Right. I guess I should have specified that I clean with vinegar diluted in water.Ā 

good stuff thanks for the info im cleaning everything out now, the tank is now clean just on with the filter now :) what do people use for their bases ive just got some sand as the woman at the shop said its easier to keep clean as everything just sit on the top :)

gaz

Joshwainwright said:
It probably could do but if you're only cleaning the tank with vinegar which has already been watered down, it's going to be pretty diluted by the time it gets to the filter. I don't think there would be anything to worry about. Loads of people use vinegar for cleaning
smile.png
I know what you are saying Josh - only passing on what I was told when I bought a 2nd-hand tank on Ebay and was told on hereĀ that it could affect the silcone seals that hold the tank together altho if it is well-diluted I guess it might be ok. I was told to just wash it down with plain water.

Mamashack said:
I know what you are saying Josh - only passing on what I was told when I bought a 2nd-hand tank on Ebay and was told on hereĀ that it could affect the silcone seals that hold the tank together altho if it is well-diluted I guess it might be ok. I was told to just wash it down with plain water.
Yeah, that and a bit of elbow grease is the best! :)

gtigaz said:
good stuff thanks for the info im cleaning everything out now, the tank is now clean just on with the filter now
smile.png
what do people use for their bases ive just got some sand as the woman at the shop said its easier to keep clean as everything just sit on the top
smile.png

gaz
Ā 
I switched all my tanks to play sand a couple years ago because of that reason. All the nasties stay on the surface and you just take a hose and swirl it just above the surface to clean.Ā 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back