New

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hello! On your other thread you said his bottom falls. Mine does this too, since his tail is big. All of my gourami-type fish gasp for air every time i water change and mess with the tank.

You also said that you changed the whole tank. I would reccomend only change up to 50 percent normally to avoid making a mini cycle

Never change the filter media or throw it away. That is where the majority of your beneficial bacteria will colonize and reside. I would recommend adding sponge and ceramic rings instead of filter cartridges. You'll have to cut out the carbon and keep the filter floss anyway since carbon becomes ineffective after a month or so. That is why companies tell you to change your filter cartridge monthly and to also keep you coming back to buy their products. In reality the healthiest thing you can do for your aquarium is have filter media that you never replace (except when it is literally falling apart which takes years from my experience) and simply rinse it in tank water when it becomes clogged/dirty. This will protect your BB colonies and help strengthen your cycle.

Last edited:
Hello! On your other thread you said his bottom falls. Mine does this too, since his tail is big. All of my gourami-type fish gasp for air every time i water change and mess with the tank.

You also said that you changed the whole tank. I would reccomend only change up to 50 percent normally to avoid making a mini cycle

Large water changes will not cause a mini-cycle since most of the beneficial bacteria are ON surfaces and filter media not in the water column. Mini-cycles happen when people throw away filter media or over clean the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back