New Year’s resolutions 2023

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It’s more the skill that I’ve learned doesn’t flow naturally sometimes. I get that way when I have art block but also when I’m working on a piece (usually a commission) that I’m not particularly interested in or inspired by. I can paint but it’s much harder and very frustrating.
While your art and mine differ they are still art. Hey, even though I retired from doing, building a web site is still a form of art as is writing a book. I know what you mean about lack of interest or inspiration. If I were to be building a site that held my interest it would take half the time as one that did not.

Frustration can actually be a good thing as it gives you something to focus upon. When frustration takes over walk away from the source and focus on what is actually the cause of the frustration. You will probably find that the actual cause is not your art but something else that is interfering with your art.

I don't know your actual age but would guess at 17-19. When you have these doubts about yourself do you ever talk about it with your parents? When I was in the age group I believe you to be I "knew" absolutely that my parents knew nothing. A few years later I was amazed at how much my parents had learned. What changed was my perspective. It dawned on me that my parents had already gone through what I was going through and could have given worlds of insight if I had actually sat down and talked with them.

While your art and mine differ they are still art. Hey, even though I retired from doing, building a web site is still a form of art as is writing a book. I know what you mean about lack of interest or inspiration. If I were to be building a site that held my interest it would take half the time as one that did not.

Frustration can actually be a good thing as it gives you something to focus upon. When frustration takes over walk away from the source and focus on what is actually the cause of the frustration. You will probably find that the actual cause is not your art but something else that is interfering with your art.
It’s usually stress or physical issues
I don't know your actual age but would guess at 17-19. When you have these doubts about yourself do you ever talk about it with your parents? When I was in the age group I believe you to be I "knew" absolutely that my parents knew nothing. A few years later I was amazed at how much my parents had learned. What changed was my perspective. It dawned on me that my parents had already gone through what I was going through and could have given worlds of insight if I had actually sat down and talked with them.
I’m around 20. Its not usually doubts so much about my ability, as frustration that nothing is turning out how I planned in my art. My lines aren’t straight anymore, I can’t get shapes right or shading etc. my last painting I restarted 6 times and spent over 40 hours on, despite it being very simple.
I usually ask my peer’s opinions. I’ve tried, but my parents aren’t all that helpful. Lol. It’s always “I’m sorry, you know you don’t HAVE to paint right?” Or something along those lines. Or they don’t even look when I try to show them

It’s usually stress or physical issues

I’m around 20. Its not usually doubts so much about my ability, as frustration that nothing is turning out how I planned in my art. My lines aren’t straight anymore, I can’t get shapes right or shading etc. my last painting I restarted 6 times and spent over 40 hours on, despite it being very simple.
I usually ask my peer’s opinions. I’ve tried, but my parents aren’t all that helpful. Lol. It’s always “I’m sorry, you know you don’t HAVE to paint right?” Or something along those lines. Or they don’t even look when I try to show them
I can actually understand when you say your parents say you don't have to do and such. When I said to talk to parents I was talking in general. It didn't work in my case either. Take when I was in high school doing state contests on drum solo competitions... My parents never showed up for a single event. They just said that why should they bother when I'd just screw it up anyway? Even when, as a senior, I was awarded the top rating doing the hardest solo on the accepted list my parent's response was to ask if no one else showed up. Their main issue was that I smoked pot so could never amount to anything. Yet, if I hadn't refused to go in the Navy, I was awarded a full scholarship to a music conservatory. Yet again I have 5 awards from Microsoft on 'puter stuff and have never taken a class being totally self taught although I have taught classes.

I'm one of those weird people that would willingly take on your physical issues if it would mean that you would be healthy. That is actually a true statement as I'm 68 and have already lived most of my life so what the heck. Sigh, it is SO sad that many of Vincent's works were destroyed being used for archery practice. :(

I REALLY think that you should watch the following video titled 'Vincent'. It is a one man play by Leonard Nimoy about Van Gogh presented after Vincent's death from the prospective of his brother

You say that you can't draw a straight line. Is this a physical thing or lack of concentration? I guess in either case it is what is but then Van Gogh didn't seem to do well on straight lines either.

Last edited:
You say that you can't draw a straight line. Is this a physical thing or lack of concentration? I guess in either case it is what is but then Van Gogh didn't seem to do well on straight lines either.
Both. It depends on the day. Usually a physical thing, which I know I cannot control, but it still makes me think I cannot draw a straight line. Very frustrating, especially as it’s increasingly getting more frequent. I haven’t been able to draw more than a few minutes at a time for weeks. I know it will get better, but the combination of that and art block has left me unmotivated

Both. It depends on the day. Usually a physical thing, which I know I cannot control, but it still makes me think I cannot draw a straight line. Very frustrating, especially as it’s increasingly getting more frequent. I haven’t been able to draw more than a few minutes at a time for weeks. I know it will get better, but the combination of that and art block has left me unmotivated
I will present a question.. When it comes to art what is the actual importance of a straight line? How many straight lines are actually involved in nature? Little girl you have a talent. A talent that many including myself wish was had. Don't be frustrated by what you can't do. Glorify in what you can.

This may be a dumb thought but if you actually need a straight line and can;'t do use a straight edge. :dunno:

<edit>
BTW, The play I recommened to view is from the perspective of Vincent's brother Theo after Vincen's death.

Last edited:
Here is some bad advice. If physical limitations keep you from drawing a straight line, reach back into that obviously creative mind you have and develop an art that you can do. Straight lines are for people who work with them. I can draw a straight line, but if I paint a picture of a cow it looks like a city bus with knobs on its head (I would call it abstract accidental). You have strength in your art, and if you accept that, you will have powerful art.

My goals for the year.

Stay healthy and alive.
Travel.
Volunteer in the community, as I get to know the local situation.

Oh, and breed some Corydoras again.

New Year’s resolutions 2023​

Well, I'm not specifically having new years resolutions. Only trying to stay alive another year... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back