New World Cichlid Compatability?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mr Melt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Allright lads;

Basically what the title says. I have a Juwel Rio 180, with a sand substrate and a very broken landscape (for territories and natural aesthetic appeal).

The stocklist is as follows:

6 Congo Tetras
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Gold Gourami
1 Snowball Pleco
2 Angelfish

What New World Cichlids would work in this setup? I was considering either a Blue Acara, a Green Terror (although its aggressiveness is a strong deterrent), 2 Tbar Cichlids or 2 Threadfin Acaras.

Are there any other species that I have overlooked that could suit this kind of setup? Thanks for your time!

PS - I should note that I have already considered Rams, but the only ones that would be well suited would apparently be the Bolivians, which don't really appeal to me to be honest.

Apistogrammas or rams would probably work.

You already have some with the Angels. You will have to be careful what you add, Apistogrammas or Bolivian Rams SHOULD be ok, but if them or the Angels decide to breed then it may turn into WW3...

Oh! I came across these wee buggers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apistogramma_cacatuoides

I really like them. Are 2 males compatible together by any chance?

As said angelfish are infact a new world cichlid :good:
Green terror stay away from, they get big, blue acara are good,but dificult finding true blue acara, as when young green terrors are soooo similar its untrue,,
Keyhole cichlids are good, ive kept these with angel fish, ive also kept kribs which are a old world cichlid well with angels

I think you would be better off with 1 m, and multiple females.

The only concern is breeding behavior, but they generally stay in their own spot when breeding and only get aggressive with those that get too close, but they don't claim the entire tank as territory.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back