New video on home mega aquarium I posted. 17,000 gallons.

The original posted vid? We were all guessing at costs. Andrew the owner comes out at tells all. $10,000 month in electric bill, $10,000 a month in food...another 10 grand or more to pay for a staff and millions to build the aquarium.

wow that is your aquarium?
cool

$25,000 for one fish?? Now THAT is insane.

He must be a billionaire.
Imagine spending that much knowing that it's just one of- and no breeding ever- and also,its not likely to last say,10 years and in fact could be dead in five or less.
At least he's keeping the economy boosted. Give him that over let it all collect interest. :)

$25,000 for one fish?? Now THAT is insane.

He must be a billionaire.

$10,000 a month in food? He must be feeding the fish caviar ;)
The guy's an idiot.

If he has that much money to spend, why doesn't he slap solar panels on his place and save 10 grand a month in power?

If he didn't put skylights above the tank he needs to find a better architect. Anyone here who sets up a big tank will slap skylights above it. People with fish rooms have alternating clear and tin panels on the roof to let light in.

--------
That tang is only worth that much because he was stupid enough to pay that much for it. He could go to Indonesia or New Guinea and talk to people there. Tell them he wants weird stuff and have them catch it and hold it for him. Then once a month he flies over there, picks the fish up and takes them back to the USA.

--------
Why doesn't he culture his own fish food?

Hell even paying full retail price for fish food I couldn't see 10 grand worth of food going into that tank each month. Even in the pet shop with 200 tanks containing 10,000+ fish, and we were feeding fish heavily to fatten them up after the stress of being shipped to Australia, we only spent a couple of hundred dollars a week on fish food. So 10 grand to feed one tank of tangs, that doesn't seem right.
Someone is selling him crap dressed as crayfish and making a fortune off him.

Tell him I have a special fish food for him and it only costs half as much as he's currently paying.

--------
If he lives near the ocean, he could get a tanker of sea water delivered once a month. It would cost a couple of hundred dollars.

If he is paying full price for marine salt, maybe he could start a business and buy the stuff in at wholesale prices.

He could also take a leaf out of other people with big marine tanks who don't do water changes. They add supplements and filter the water through algae scrubbers. He could get rid of his salt bill by doing this.

I just saved him 20 grand a month and my advice to him is free.

The original posted vid? We were all guessing at costs. Andrew the owner comes out at tells all. $10,000 month in electric bill, $10,000 a month in food...another 10 grand or more to pay for a staff and millions to build the aquarium.

Wow! So Andrew’s multimillionaire? Or billionaire ?

Imagine spending that much knowing that it's just one of- and no breeding ever- and also,its not likely to last say,10 years and in fact could be dead in five or less.
At least he's keeping the economy boosted. Give him that over let it all collect interest. :)
My guess is he has excellent consultants

For all the money he is spending, at least the tank looks rather good. A bit in your face for my liking. Like one of those huge TV sets that never switches off.

He's in New York,and that might mean skylights are not worth the bother for what looks like an estate,not just a house. Also,looking close..its not really even a reef tank. Only a few widely spaced Elkhorn type corals and the rest is just rock. Not even sure if those are real corals.
At around the 1:30 mark he shows a Butterfly fish he said he paid $30,000 for and another $25,000. $55,000 for two fish.
Or,he could be going for headlines and for fun to get people to believe all that.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back