New Uarus- Pics Too At Last.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well as I mentioned in my other uaru thread, I picked up two of these amazing fish yesterday.
Got them home, spent a little while acclimatising them to my water. Released them into the tank and ...... disaster !!!

They both literally keeled over and lay gasping on the bottom. I watched them in desperation for about 20 minutes, and then unfortunately had to leave the house for a few hours. To be honest I was half expecting them to both be dead when I returned. I've never seen anything like it. I just couldn't work out what I'd done wrong. I did exactly what I always do when adding new fish to a tank.

Anyway, I returned home and, lo and behold, they were both upright and looking much, much better. Later in the evening they were swimming around a bit, and even had a couple of pellets from the evening feed.
Today, they have much more confidence, and are swimming around confidently at times.
My largest dominant sev, Honey, is giving them a little bit of argy bargy. But, it's really not too bad, and they seem to be coping with it.
Honey does this for a couple of days when other fish are added and then she calms down. Hetty, the green sev has accepted the newcomers instantly.

Here's some pics anyway.

bothuaru2lores.jpg

bothuarulores.jpg

Julietsevslores.jpg

The bigger uaru (now to be known as "Johnson") is pushing 6". The smaller ("Jemima") is probably just over 4".
The pic including the sevs (Honey and Hetty) is with Jemima, the smaller uaru.

Already, I love the dignity of these fish.Yet, they don't just stay in one place. They are constantly gently cruising around. Always interesting to watch.
You can definately see hints of turquise in their fins and faces too. Once they get into good condition, they will be stunning. (Oh, I forgot to mention that the shop was housing them with 4 arowanas which had taken chunks out of all the uaru.)
Jemima was quite hungry this morning. I haven't actually seen Johnson eat, as he's a little more nervous, but I am sure it will not be long at all.
They seem to like each other a lot, although seem happy swimming on their own at times too.

I've had to remove two of the finer leaved plastic plants already as Jemima was fiercely trying to eat it, and I don't want plastic to go down the wrong way. Bought a couple of those silk terrarium plants this morning (the ones that sucker onto the glass) and they do look great. I may even go and buy another this afternoon !

So all is looking very good in the tank, and grumpy Honey is coping well with her new friends.
I can thoroughly recommend these fish if you have space for them. Can't wait to get them all into the new tank, which will arrive in a few weeks.

They look stunning! But clearly don't cope with stressful situations haha.

They look good. No fights they all got along well? Yours are about he same size as mine. It took a few weeks for them to discover how much fun wood is to chew on. With time you will see. One of mu uaru is a pig the other more shy one is less of a pig unless frozen blood worms are on the menu. Make sure they get veggie flakes your severum will like them too. That's the main food I give my severum and uaur. Then they get a bunch of other stuff a differant times.

Now we can talk about our uaur together haha.

Actually, those two are really nice :) I didn't realise they got a nice blue hue to them. They will look stunning once settled and their fins are healed up. How big do Uaru's get?

:drool: I just love the bright orange eyes.

Update ... Both Johnson and Jemima ate well last night, although not interested in chopped shelled frozen peas, which surprised me. floating and sinking pellets both went down well though.

Honey, the dominant sev, is continuing her mild harassment of the uarus. No damage done and it is low level, but I can see that it is stressing the newcomers somewhat. Am considering putting Honey in the "naughty tank" for a day or two and doing a re-arrange of the main tank.

nice fish . i wouldnt worry too much about honey the sev, that will probably soon stop. if its not properly agressive, i always found that my sevs were a bit like that with new arrivals but its probably curiosity as muchas anything.

nice fish . i wouldnt worry too much about honey the sev, that will probably soon stop. if its not properly agressive, i always found that my sevs were a bit like that with new arrivals but its probably curiosity as muchas anything.

Yup I'm hopeful that will be the case. Honey was the same with Hetty (my slightly smaller green sev) and they are the very best of friends now.

I was looking at the shop tank for a while this lunchtime, before coming away with 3 Dennisons Barb and 3 Panda Garra, they look like gentle giants. If I had a bigger tank than a 240l and they liked river currents, plus they were compatable with my other new scaley freinds, I would buy a pair in an instant! The young ~2" ones look so sweet!!

Did you see the new Jewel Cichlids and the single Geophagus, hamfist?

By the way, Sam (the chilled out, tall manager) told me that they are expecting a Congo shipment around Friday, all being well. Its going to include severl species of Steatocranus cichlids and Pelviochromis nudiceps, which are apparently closely related to the much more common Kribs, but I'm struggling to find anything on them so far on the "interweb."

I was looking at the shop tank for a while this lunchtime, before coming away with 3 Dennisons Barb and 3 Panda Garra, they look like gentle giants. If I had a bigger tank than a 240l and they liked river currents, plus they were compatable with my other new scaley freinds, I would buy a pair in an instant! The young ~2" ones look so sweet!!

Did you see the new Jewel Cichlids and the single Geophagus, hamfist?

By the way, Sam (the chilled out, tall manager) told me that they are expecting a Congo shipment around Friday, all being well. Its going to include severl species of Steatocranus cichlids and Pelviochromis nudiceps, which are apparently closely related to the much more common Kribs, but I'm struggling to find anything on them so far on the "interweb."

I'm afraid on that visit, I was so absolutely focussed on the Uaru tank, and choosing which ones I wanted, I don't think I even looked in any of the other tanks. Very unlike me !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back