New To The Game 60 Gallon Tank. Fish Ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BlueCray920

Reaction score
Hello world all. I just bought a 60 gallon tank because I herd the bigger the tank the easier to take care of. The dimensions are 48"w x 13"d x 24"h I have a 300w heater circulation fan 500 g per hour. It has been treated and has been cycling for 2 days. I have put a couple plants in. Just undecided on what kind of fish to put in it. I do know my daughter wants 5 black skirt tetra. But I want some fish that just pop! Any ideas on what you would do.

Neon tetras sure are pretty, about 5 of those... then fancy guppies, although, if you put two genders in they will reproduce like the wind...

The most important thing before giving advice is to know the water qualities. Your tank will not be cycled yet. Have a read of this for an explanation.
I know its a pain but if you just delve in and start buying fish, the likelihood is you will lose many, if not all of them.

Once you get your tank cycled then if you can tell us what type of water you have, ie hard or soft (your Local Fish Store will test it for you) Then we can advise you better.  One thing I'd say though is that Neons and guppies are not a good mix.

If you know someone who has an established fish tank, you can take some shortcuts by grabbing some of their filter medium.

A tank that size can hold a fair number of fish, check out the internet with your daughter. I'd suggest looking up tetras as many of the prettiest fish come from that genus.

Munroco said:
One thing I'd say though is that Neons and guppies are not a good mix.
I've always heard they get along fine... maybe I should rethink my stocking ideas for my tank...

After you cycle it, if you try a betta, if they get along well with tetras, which I believe they do. I have read that they don't get along with guppies, though. Something about the guppies nipping at the betta's fins.

Betta are not community fish, and should be on their own, so I would forget Betta in a 60g tank.  This non-compatibility is two -way...the Betta frequently takes a dislike to other fish, especially colourful species (I have seen a Betta eat a neon), but small tetra often become fin nippers when confined with sedate or long-fin fish.

Water parameters are essential to know.  Some fish have very specific requirements.  Your municipal water authority probably has a website with water data posted, check there.  If you do get a store to test your water, always ask for numbers, regardless of the test.  Without the number, we are only guessing.

Fish compatibility is something of a science in itself, involving water parameters, environment (the substrate and decor), filtration (water currents impact fish negatively or positively depending upon the species and the current), and of course natural inherent behaviours--but it is not insurmountable.  Many fish are intolerant of certain other species for one or more of these reasons.

Byron.

Thank you for correcting me. I am pretty new to fishkeeping and don't know much about it.

HarpyFishLover said:
Thank you for correcting me. I am pretty new to fishkeeping and don't know much about it.

We all started out knowing little if anything, I know I certainly did, and forums like TFF are ideal ways to learn.
yes.gif
   And we never stop learning.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back