New to TFF

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Willow59

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello! I've kept freshwater fish since '99 and recently got into saltwater in late '19. Looking forward to learning from others and see what everyone is up to here! This is the freshwater tank that I recently adopted and am cleaning up.

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpg
    IMG_5647.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks! I'd like to try my hand at cherry shrimp so I've been doing some research on small tetras :)
I know nothing about shrimp as we are not allowed them in New Zealand. Tetras I know something about. What are your water parameters, most of the smaller tetras are quite sensitive to water.

How large is your tank. You might enter one of our Tank of the Month contests. For february we are accepting tanks sized at 31 G and larger. Next month will feature tanks 16 G and smaller.

I know nothing about shrimp as we are not allowed them in New Zealand. Tetras I know something about. What are your water parameters, most of the smaller tetras are quite sensitive to water.
I unloaded a lot of fish when I cleaned it up so last I check my nitrates were 0-5.0. The biggest thing I have concern with for tetras is pH. Our water from the tap is 8.0.. what do you see as the biggest parameter challenges for tetras?
How large is your tank. You might enter one of our Tank of the Month contests. For february we are accepting tanks sized at 31 G and larger. Next month will feature tanks 16 G and smaller.
My best guess is 25-30gal so I guess I don’t fit Feb or Mar. ? thanks for the heads up!
Welcome!

Ya probably won't learn anything of value from me, but since you asked: 5'11". :flex:

Your new tank looks great. Is that how you got it or what you've done to it? That is a primo chunk of driftwood!
Thanks! Here is a picture of how I got it. I took it from 21 fish to 11, returned about 30 ghost shrimp, removed probably 100+ snails, MANY water changes.. it was rough.

Attachments

• A9B1E78B-6814-41BA-85AE-D592BB5F5991.jpeg
    A9B1E78B-6814-41BA-85AE-D592BB5F5991.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 42
Just wanted to say hello! I've kept freshwater fish since '99 and recently got into saltwater in late '19. Looking forward to learning from others and see what everyone is up to here! This is the freshwater tank that I recently adopted and am cleaning up.
Hey Willow welcome and what a tank!!!! Many factors going on here and it’s like looking across a valley with trees bushes and I have saved a pic to show mrs it is very well thought out imho

Thank you both, I’d rather make the right choices up front. What methods do y’all use to lower your pH? It may be harder as high as ours sits.
You can put some peat in the base and use drift wood, both of these things will soften your tank water and lower your pH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back