New To Tff And Need Help On Determining Whether Guppy Is Going To Drop

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ranish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I got some guppies yesterday and the females look heavily pregnant, but the guy that I brought them from told me that they have about 4 weeks to go and that they can stay in the main tank. I am not so sure because of their size. They are pretty big. Please help me if you can say when they look like they are honing up drop their fry. I really don't want them to have babies in the main tank! PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 794
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 794
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 788
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 744
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 749
They look very pregnant and probably having babies soon. But not in 4 weeks, whoever told you that is wrong. At most probably 2 or 3 more days for some of them to drop the fry. (Well thats my opinion)

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been going crazy not knowing what to do. Should i move them into the breeding net?

NO! Don't use breeding nets. Those are death traps. I learned that the hard way. :(
Get a separate tank. A large jar, maybe, if you don't have another tank. Watch them closely. When they drop, remove the fry with the aid of a very fine net or a small paper cup and put them in a separate tank. Alternately, you can put the mother in now if you have a big enough fry tank.
You are going to have 20-60 babies per mother guppy very soon. My 2nd pregnant guppy didn't look so pregnant, yet she had 11 fry on the way home. So be prepared :)
Welcome by the way :D

Thank you so much princesskiara. Do you think fish bowl will do? I had another tank setup but my husband got rid of it because of the difficulty of maintaining it :( ( got 2 toddlers aswell) I don't have any setup for the bowl though. Or should I just leave them in the main tank?

I leave them at tank and my adult guppies dont eat the fry but every tank os different. They might just ignore them, eat a few or chase them all till they are all gone. But if you havr many hididng spaces for the fry then i guess its ok. (I even have a betta in but im lucky it doesnt chnase the fry)

If it were me I'd just leave them in the main tank. That way nature will take it's course. If you start trying to protect the young you'll soon be overrun. I really won't put fish in any sort of jar as this could stress the fish and also gives you more work to do with daily water changes to make sure it stays clean for them.

My 7 year old daughter has a 90l tank in her room with 4 male and 8 female guppies. We just left the females alone and she now has ten baby fry swimming around. I would expect 10-30 fry on average though rather than 20-60 and then only if you try to keep them all. Left alone they'll be a reasonable number left for your tank.

Lunar Jetman said:
If it were me I'd just leave them in the main tank. That way nature will take it's course. If you start trying to protect the young you'll soon be overrun. I really won't put fish in any sort of jar as this could stress the fish and also gives you more work to do with daily water changes to make sure it stays clean for them.

My 7 year old daughter has a 90l tank in her room with 4 male and 8 female guppies. We just left the females alone and she now has ten baby fry swimming around. I would expect 10-30 fry on average though rather than 20-60 and then only if you try to keep them all. Left alone they'll be a reasonable number left for your tank.

+1
Agreed 100%
Then you'll have a nice slow increase to your stock - sustainable development (or something, I'm very tired! Hah!)

Within a few days they should start to square of before giving birth. And +1 to Sophie and Lunar Jetman. Also, they dont look like they are squaring of, it might be a few days, but you never know. Just a tip I have learned :D

Haha, well I always save all my babies and don't mind the extra work, so... :p They're just so cute I can't let them be killed!

Mm the one reason I just don't like livebearers..

I sell them to the local store so im good. I just keep the once i want to breed. But well not many have option of selling guppies to fish store.

Hi Guys thank you so much for all your answers I really appriciate your help. I will take all your advice on board. That's the reason I love live bearers as well I love them having babies and then saving them and looking after them till they grow into beautifull adults. i want to have a rank full of them. (without overstocking though) my local store told me that I can take them and get store credit for the babies so when I have considerable stock I might do that. Thanks everyone for your words of advice. I am always open for more

PrincessKiara said:
Haha, well I always save all my babies and don't mind the extra work, so...
tongue2.gif
They're just so cute I can't let them be killed!

The problems you are having in that tank are partly down to this.

The problem you are having is projecting mammalian instincts onto a non-mammal. The fish don't care if the fry live or die, and neither should you. That's why they produce so many, on the assumption that loads will die.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back