New To Site, Advice On Established Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AvidDaisy

Reaction score
I just joined this site. I'm not exactly new to aquariums, have had this one for years, but my hubby kept it done, and he has passed over.  The water is pretty clear, as you can see, and I have some kind of tetras in it, and about 10 babies. I have also attached a pic of the filter thing under the aquarium.

The filter is not putting out the thrust it once did, and I'm wondering if I need to clean under the rocks, or if that has anything to do with it. I'm sure under the rocks is really nasty, as I haven't cleaned it in a a couple of years, and wanted to, but now I have a bunch of babies, and am afraid of moving them to another small tank.

Daisy

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 59
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 39
welcomeani.gif
to the forums! And I am sorry for your loss!  You have joined a great community and I am sure we can help you get this all under control and sorted out. You should be getting a lot of advice pouring in soon, but there will be a lot of questions that come with them. Just try to answer as best as you can and we can help you get this all sorted out.

First a few basic questions:
  1. Do you know what size tank this is?  You can give us dimensions of the tank itself if you are unsure.
  2. What kind of fish do you have exactly, and how many? You can post pictures of the fish to allow us to help identify them. It may just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but in the bottom right corner of the tank, is that an "algae eater" or "sucker" fish?
  3. Are you familiar with testing the water parameters for things such as Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?
  4. Do you perform any type of maintenance on the tank, such as water changes?  How long has it been since the tank had a water change or filter maintenance performed?
  5. Has there been any sort of chemicals added to the tank recently, such as a type of medicine, dechlorinator, etc?

I'll try to answer some questions for you. The tank is 30 inches high, 48 inches long and 24 inches deep. I'm figuring 125 gal? I cleaned the filters a few months ago when I noticed the water thrust not putting out. Once cleaned, I started it up, and thrust great for a couple of minutes, then reverted to not so good. I haven't cleaned the tank, except a little vacuuming a few times a year.  The fish are all I have in there besides the algae eater, who is old, and we've had him since he was a little one.  I've attached pics of the fish. I have about 2 grown ups, 3 or so adolescents, and about 10 babies.

Attachments

• fishies.jpg
    fishies.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back