New to hobby and new tank with hitchhiker question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tobek28

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently set up a 30 L aquarium that I have in my apartment, new landlord allows fish so I finally went ahead with the project. It has been with water for about 6 days. I put in gravel, live plants (aquarium coop), and some dragonstone about 3 days ago (Monday July 13). I have some java fern, java moss, crypt wendtii, crypt parva, and 3 dwarf aquarium lily bulbs.
Hitchhiker 1.jpgHitchhiker 2.jpg
I noticed this little guy crawling around. It looks like it is a tiny snail? Just wanted to make sure it is harmless. I assume it came from the live plants I bought as they keep theirs with snails.

aquarium bulbs.jpg
I also noticed something white and cottony growing on the lily bulbs that are currently sprouting. Is this a fungus? bacteria? Should I be concerned for the bulbs and the tank/plants?
Thanks in advance!

It is a pond snail. (Or bladder snail)

They are harmless to the tank, and actually do quite a lot of good. If you don’t want snails in your tank, remove it.

The white stuff looks like mold maybe? Not 100% sure...

Welcome to the forum :hi: I would wipe off the white mold, as far as the snail, they do a lot of good but if you over feed your fish you will have a population explosion of snails.

And there is more about snails, both hitchhikers and the ones we pay for here

Thanks for the fast reply everyone. I saw the hitchhiker thing and figured he was some kind of snail. I didn't know if he was harmless or not. I'll leave the snail be, but I hope he'll have enough food with the plants melting back a bit as there isn't any algae yet. I'll also try wiping off the fungus-like stuff from the bulbs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back