New to hobby and forum.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I hope you only have 1 male in the tank when you add the female. Male livebearers irritate the hell out of females and having 1 female in with a group of males would probably upset her.

Your best bet is to move a male into a tank with a female and let them hang out for a few days before removing the male.
I am not a cookie cutter type woman. Most common methods only irritate me, confuse me, or dont work with my style. Im kind of the outside of the box person who doesnt care if people question the way i do things if it works for me.

But id love to explain...

Not for me it wasnt easier the traditional way. Also, you can have many males with 1 female this way. She only needs to be pregnant by 1 of them then remove the female. They wont be able to bother her anymore. Only for a short time. I have 3 prego guppy, 2 prego platy, and 1 prego molly in the nursery tank this far.

Non pregnant females in stud tank are 2 platy, 2 molly, and one swordtail.

And one of each males for all species.

All fish are different ages. And all are in different stages of the 30ish day gestation time. Every few days i will check on the females condition (in the stud tank), as it were, and move them to the nursery tank when ready. And swap them out as needed.

By adding a male to a female tank i would need more aquarium size or go to 1 type of fish, maybe 2. I would need to worry about the male stressing out the females, and eating the fry. I would need to remove a female every couple of weeks into yet another tank, or add traps and section off part of the tank to keep the females happy and the fry safe. Which will out number the males greatly so really it is the males that need to be separated.

By doing it the way I am doing it i dont need to fuss over all of that. I will be sure to have some fry survive and only need to have the 2 small tanks i have going.

I tried the suggested most commonly used method for several months and resulted in 2 rounds of aborted, absorbed, and prematurely delivered fry. Stressed myself out, got water everywhere all of the time. Pissed off the fish. It messed with my mojo and removed the fun of keeping fish. Plus this way they can deliver at there leisure. Without me trying to cheer them on in anticipation. The fry can hide. The tank perameters are spot on for mothers and fry both but not necessarily comfortable for males to be 80°or warmer. Etc... Etc..

So that is why i have a male stud tank and a nursery tank instead.

Just throwing this out there. Female livebearers like swordtails, platies, guppies and mollies can carry sperm packets for 6 months or more and use these to fertilise eggs they are carrying. If you are trying to breed fish for a particular colour or trait, you have to let them use up all the sperm packets and then breed them with the male. It could be a while before the females use up all the sperm packets they currently carry.
Thats an excellent point. This is another reason I love the stud tank separate from a nursery tank, the females are not co-habiting with males.

A five gallon is not a good size for the males to live in long term. These fish need some swimming space.

Welcome to the forum, and back to the hobby! It's awesome that you're both into the hobby! Nice to be able to share the hobby with a partner, rather than having them moaning about how many tanks you have... lol.

Also curious about what you mean when you say a stud tank!
Thank you. We still have the eye roll and "the look" when i talk about the 2 29 g on a stand that will be coming

Well hello and welcome to TFF... :hi:
I already know you from another topic over here...

Most reactions

trending

Back