New to fishforum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wiff58

Reaction score
Hi I've recently gone from a 18ltr tank to a 70 ltr tank (Juwel prime 70) which I have moved my 4 Zebra Danios into ... I'm looking for some advice and tips to what fish I can add (I'd like some bottom feeders if possible) and what's the most fish in total I should get as I don't want to over load my tank .. I was thinking 12 ( 3 x 4 fish) ?? cheers

Attachments

• 15525930594525645362007579284324.jpg
    15525930594525645362007579284324.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 226
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Did you transfer your old filter or filter media into the new tank?
If not the new tank will probably have to cycle (develop the beneficial filter bacteria) and you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels over the next month. You should also avoid adding anymore fish until it has cycled.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

The next time you are at the pet shop, make a list of fish and plants you like and post it here along with the above information, and we can go through it and suggest which fish are compatible and suitable for your tank.

Hello and thanks for welcoming me. I will follow all advice and want to thank you all for your tips and shared knowledge. I have yet determined the hardness of the water around here but will do so in the very near future. As for everything else i do belive im headed the right direction just waiting on time it takes to have a cycled tank.

If you have the old filter, you can put it on the new tank and it will get the net tank cycled straight away, assuming the old filter didn't dry out, die off or get washed under tap water.

If not the new tank will probably have to cycle (develop the beneficial filter bacteria) and you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels over the next month. You should also avoid adding anymore fish until it has cycled.

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

The next time you are at the pet shop, make a list of fish and plants you like and post it here along with the above information, and we can go through it and suggest which fish are compatible and suitable for your tank.

Hi thanks for your reply .. It is a new tank and new filter plus a tetra aps 100 air pump ... The measurements of my take are 60x30x40cms and holds 70 litres of water my last tank held 18ltr and had a built in filter ..
I looked on my water companies website and the water is hard plus I copied and pasted this info ....
Hardness Conversion
iw_close.gif

The water in your area is hard.

To help set your domestic appliances, the water hardness in different units is:
243.25 mg/l :Calcium Carbonate
97.3 mg/l :Calcium
16.93 °C :Degrees Clark
24.325 °F :Degrees French
13.817 °dH :Degrees German
2.433 mmol/l :Millimoles
  • Lead in drinking water

I want a full Drinking Water Quality Report for this area

I want other information on drinking water quality in the Anglian Water area ...
    ???? Chemistry isnt my strong point !! Not sure what fish I'm into as I'm pretty new to this ... And plants I bought 3 I liked the look of .. I have ordered some liquid fertiliser for them which I will add when it arrives ..
  • I added api quick start and king british filter aid plus Api stress coat plus and API stress games + as advised by aquarium store ..
  • I'd like some bottom feeders and maybe some fish with a tad more colour to go with my Danios.. Cheers Wiff58

API Quick Start is filter bacteria in a bottle. You add it at a double dose every day for the first week and then either pour the rest into the tank or put it in the fridge and use it later on another tank. Try to add it to the aquarium near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

King British Filter Aid is another type of filter bacteria in a bottle. You do not needs both of these products so I would return this one and get a refund for it.

API Stress Coat is a water conditioner used to remove chlorine/ chloramine from the tap water. If you already have a water conditioner (and you should from your last tank), then I would return this product as you don't need 2 different water conditions. If you haven't got much of you old water conditioner left, then keep this but if you still have a bit of the old conditioner, then return the API Stress Coat.

I have no idea what API Stress Games+ is.

-------------------------
Very Soft water has a GH between 0-50ppm (mg/l).
Soft water has a GH between 50-150ppm.
Medium water has a GH between 150-250ppm.
Hard water has a GH between 250-350ppm.
Very hard water has a GH between 350-450+ppm.

Your water has a medium hardness (243ppm or mg/l), it is at the top end of medium and bottom end of hard.

Rainbowfish and livebearers do well in this water. However, your tank size limits you to small species of fish. You could keep guppies or Pseudomugil Rainbowfish. Other small species of rainbowfish include Melanotaenia papuae, maccullochi, sexlineata, praecox, pygmaea.
There is more info on rainbowfish at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Last edited:
API Quick Start is filter bacteria in a bottle. You add it at a double dose every day for the first week and then either poor the rest into the tank or put it in the fridge and use it later on another tank. Try to add it to the aquarium near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

King British Filter Aid is another type of filter bacteria in a bottle. You do not needs both of these products so I would return this one and get a refund for it.

API Stress Coat is a water conditioner used to remove chlorine/ chloramine from the tap water. If you already have a water conditioner (and you should from your last tank), then I would return this product as you don't need 2 different water conditions. If you haven't got much of you old water conditioner left, then keep this but if you still have a bit of the old conditioner, then return the API Stress Coat.

I have no idea what API Stress Games+ is.

Very Soft water has a GH between 0-50ppm (mg/l).
Soft water has a GH between 50-150ppm.
Medium water has a GH between 150-250ppm.
Hard water has a GH between 250-350ppm.
Very hard water has a GH between 350-450+ppm.

Your water has a medium hardness (243ppm or mg/l), it is at the top end of medium and bottom end of hard.

Rainbowfish and livebearers do well in this water. However, your tank size limits you to small species of fish. You could keep guppies or Pseudomugil Rainbowfish. Other small species of rainbowfish include Melanotaenia papuae, maccullochi, sexlineata, praecox, pygmaea.
There is more info on rainbowfish at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
Hi thanks again for your reply ... sorry I ment API STRESS ZYME + ... I'll look into the fish you mentioned ... I only want small fish and the 70litre tank at the moment .. How many fish do you recommend for my size tank and i don't want to over stock it ... Also what advice would you give on bottom feeders?? I have small gravel so not sure about catfish ?? Maybe Shrimps was mentioned by my pet shop ??
When should I do my first 15-20% water change .. API advice is after 2 weeks but I've also read weekly ??
Sorry for all the questions there's so much conflicting data out there and as this is my 1st biggish tank I want to get it right

Cheers

Wiff58

Big tank, small tank, they are all the same when it comes to setting them up and maintaining them.

API Stress Zyme is another type of bacteria in a bottle and you don't need it.

When the tank is established and has a fully functional biological filter, you could have 10 male guppies, or 10 of the Pseudomugil rainbowfish, or 10 Iriatherina werneri, or 6-8 of the smaller Melanotaenia rainbowfish.

If you want female guppies then get 4-10 females and no males and move any baby guppies into another tank to grow up. The more female guppies you have, the more babies you will get.

The water is a bit hard for most Corydoras catfish, although some of the more common types (bronze or peppered) might be alright. But avoid wild caught Corydoras because the water is too hard for them.

Assuming you don't live in the UK (their government is afraid snails will take over the country and rule the world), you could get some of the bigger snails like Mystery/ Apple snails.

Shrimp are another option.

If you want to try breeding the rainbowfish then don't get any snails or shrimp because they will eat the fish eggs and fry (baby fish). Rainbowfish will scatter eggs in plants each day for months if conditions are good. If you have the Pseudomugil rainbowfish, they don't normally eat their young and you can grow up the babies in the tank with the adults. Most Pseudomugils only produce a few eggs each day so you won't be overrun with them.

If you want colour then either a group of male guppies or 6-8 Melanotaenia praecox or 10 Pseudomugil gertrudae/ paskai.

If you go on YouTube and search for Pseudomugil or Iriatherina rainbowfish, there are plenty of clips showing what the fish look like.

I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week. You should also do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If you are using a liquid bacterial supplement (API Quick Start), then just do the 75% water change when needed (as mentioned above), but do not gravel clean the substrate for the first few weeks unless you see food on the gravel, then syphon that out.

Assuming you don't live in the UK (their government is afraid snails will take over the country and rule the world
That should read "Assuming you don't live in the EU (the EU bureaucracy is afraid snails will take over the EU and rule the world)" ;)

The EU still allows nerite snails and the larger ramshorns.

my mistake, UK, EU, same place, at least as far as the killer snails are concerned :)

The new world order controlled and run by snails, their motto is "We run things at a snail's pace".

SNAILS, ATTACK!

Ah, but the EU consists of 28 countries, and we probably have members from some of the other 27 where apple snails are also banned :)

(And yes I know, the EU will soon only be 27 countries once the UK finally leaves)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back