FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SergioMcFish

Reaction score
Hello! I have built my first "real" tank. I had a 5 gallon with a plant and 2 guppies. My wife surprised me with Permission to get a 20. So that's exactly what I got. I currently have 3 black mollies, 4 gold dust mollies, 8 Ember Tetras, 1 pink tux Guppy, 2 female Fancy guppies and 1 Albino Cory Catfish (more to come after research I realized they like to group). Im hooked! (pun intended) I love having fish and wanted one since i was a little kid! I just LOVE watching the tetras Shoaling and the gold dust mollies just adventuring through the decor! Id love to see what others have build.

Future plans: More plants, Replace the fake grass and add real moss.
More cory catfish so my guy i named steve wont be lonely.
MORE TETRAS.....i like tetras alot.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 64
Hello there! Welcome aboard! There's a wealth of knowledge here and most of us are very friendly and glad to help 😁

Lovely tank by the way! However you may be in a bit of a pickle concerning your livestock 😬 sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙈 I'm assuming you have a test kit? If not, get one! It's the most vital piece to your fish keeping...the reason I mention it is, guppies and mollies are hardwater fish...and tetras are soft. So if you want your fish to thrive you need to work out your water hardness and choose your fish accordingly, which will be one or the other....I know, it sucks! My water is too hard to even entertain the thought of owning tetras...

Hello there! Welcome aboard! There's a wealth of knowledge here and most of us are very friendly and glad to help 😁

Lovely tank by the way! However you may be in a bit of a pickle concerning your livestock 😬 sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙈 I'm assuming you have a test kit? If not, get one! It's the most vital piece to your fish keeping...the reason I mention it is, guppies and mollies are hardwater fish...and tetras are soft. So if you want your fish to thrive you need to work out your water hardness and choose your fish accordingly, which will be one or the other....I know, it sucks! My water is too hard to even entertain the thought of owning tetras...
Oh no! I was unaware of that. I just saw peoples tanks with both and thought they'd be okay in the same water! i dont own a test kit but every few days or so i take a little container to pet smart and have it tested to be safe, ill invest in one soon!

Welcome. This place is just about the most welcoming helpful on the internet. Don’t think everyone’s jumping on your case here……..but;)……….your LFS will be testing for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
You need to find out your tap waters PH and Hardness in numbers. It’ll almost certainly be on your water providers website unless your on a well supply. This will determine which fish are most suited to your areas water. This will make your job as a fish keeper easier and their lives more pleasant.
Once you find them post them on here and this lot will help guide you through the figures.
Best of luck with your new fish btw.

It's something I had no idea of when I first started out either! Once you find out your water hardness (your water provider's website should have this info) you can then research particular fish you like the look of to see if they'll do well in your water. And yes, please do invest in a decent test kit, the API master kit is very popular among aquarists

Clown beat me to it 😋

Welcome. This place is just about the most welcoming helpful on the internet. Don’t think everyone’s jumping on your case here……..but;)……….your LFS will be testing for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
You need to find out your tap waters PH and Hardness in numbers. It’ll almost certainly be on your water providers website unless your on a well supply. This will determine which fish are most suited to your areas water. This will make your job as a fish keeper easier and their lives more pleasant.
Once you find them post them on here and this lot will help guide you through the figures.
Best of luck with your new fish btw.
I believe the last time I tested my water was 6-7 it was one of those little strips and the color was between 6-7. After hearing that I think imma get another 5 gallon and put my little ember tetras in there!

But your water out the tap will still be the same?

I believe the last time I tested my water was 6-7
Was that pH or GH?
If it was pH, that is level usually associated with soft water; if it was GH, that is soft water and way too soft for mollies and guppies. But good for tetras and cories.

You need do need to find out your hardness (GH). Are you on mains water or well water? If it's mains water, your water provider's website should have your hardness. If you can find it, tell us the number and the unit of measurement (there are several units they could use)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back