New To Fish-Keeping!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LibertyMoore

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have never kept fish before, but have just bought a 25L fish tank. I know 25L is not very big, but I do not have any room for anything larger.I am not planning to have many fish, but I wondered if anyone can give me any advice on what fish I can keep in this tank? I don't want them to become ill, or fight.

I love the colours of the male guppies, and I have been led to understand that they are ideal for beginners as they are fairly hardy. If I had, say, 2 in my tank, what other fish could I keep with them?

I have ready up on fishless cycling, and will be doing that for a few weeks before I consider getting fish. I have all of the testing kits and cleaning supplies. I am just looking for advice on the types of fish I can accomodate.

Thanks! 
yes.gif

Welcome! You can't keep many fish in that tank, but there are a few.

Endler guppies are an option, a trio of males perhaps?
A female or male betta
Shrimp tank (Many different variations)
One species of the micro tetras or micro rasboras, or ..I don't know much about these guys, so I can't help on that.
Maybe Scarlet Badis?
Normal guppies would be happier in a 10 gallon (40 litres?).

Do you know your water hardness?

It took more than a few weeks to cycle my smaller tank, just make sure you add no fish until the water is perfect :)

LyraGuppi said:
Welcome! You can't keep many fish in that tank, but there are a few.

Endler guppies are an option, a trio of males perhaps?
A female or male betta
Shrimp tank (Many different variations)
One species of the micro tetras or micro rasboras, or ..I don't know much about these guys, so I can't help on that.
Maybe Scarlet Badis?
Normal guppies would be happier in a 10 gallon (40 litres?).

Do you know your water hardness?

Thank you for the advice! I will bear it in mind 
yes.gif

How do I test my water hardness?

Thanks

-L
AmtotheBurr said:
It took more than a few weeks to cycle my smaller tank, just make sure you add no fish until the water is perfect
smile.png

Thank you, I will do! I have read it should take about 6 weeks, but obviously depends on the tank size etc

-L

You can try to look up a water quality report from the city you live in. They usually post them online. It might have your water hardness listed

Guppies are certainly a good choice.

If it were me I'd keep a male Betta in that tank.  They have superb personalities and are amongst the brightest and most beautiful fish.

Female bettas have a lot of personality also,.

The beauty of Snow White, the appeal of Bambi the playfulness of a kitten the loyalty of a puppie,,,, with a dark clod blooded assassins core, What's not to like? Sounds like an EX of mine lol.

Same....I wonder if one of my ex's made it to Australia lol

Hi

It depends on what kind of visual you want out of your fishes

Whether you like them in a group? Colorful? Plain? Slim? Fat? Hehehee

Welcome to the fish world!

AquaPit said:
Hi

It depends on what kind of visual you want out of your fishes

Whether you like them in a group? Colorful? Plain? Slim? Fat? Hehehee

Welcome to the fish world!

I'm just after something beautiful and bright to look at and tend to! I'm a writer so will spend a lot of time sat staring at them whilst in deep thought 
laugh.png

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll let you know what I choose!

NickAu said:
The beauty of Snow White, the appeal of Bambi the playfulness of a kitten the loyalty of a puppie,,,, with a dark clod blooded assassins core, What's not to like? Sounds like an EX of mine lol.
LMAO! Ditto (;

Hi guys, just an update!

Last week I went for four male guppies (to start with) and I love them!

And please don't tell me I'm overcrowding my tank, I've read too many comments where people are beating others for apparently 'overcrowding'. The fish are very happy and they have lots of room to swim, and still play with each other, play in the filter bubbles and nibble the plants. They have such fun personalities, they come to the glass when I come in the room, and come up to be fed when I lift the lid of the tank. They are very happy, and their waste is not messing with the tank parameters. If I'm sat watching them and I see them poop, I just scoop it out while it's floating down so that it doesn't have time to settle.

All is going well, and I will be getting a few more guppies in a few weeks.

-L

P.S I mean it about the overcrowding comments. They may not be in a ridiculously vast 97498579L tank but they are still very happy, and they show it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back